moulding search

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
jay

moulding search

Post by jay »

Hi folks, Looking for Ashworth & Thompson's discontinued 1302.G.SILV. They have no stock left, and I have a customer who simply won't give up.... this is the moulding she wants, and will accept no other I have to offer!! :roll: In a last ditch attempt, I wondered if anyone here knows of another supplier of this moulding, or indeed, if anyone has 6 unblemished meters they would be willing to sell, and post to me? Thank you....
IMG_8920.JPG
IMG_8920.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4914 times
IMG_8922.JPG
IMG_8922.JPG (4.2 MiB) Viewed 4914 times
IMG_8921.JPG
IMG_8921.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 4914 times
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: moulding search

Post by Not your average framer »

Since you already have a sample of this moulding, have you considered getting this moulding machined as a bare wood moulding and hand finishing it yourself to match the orginal finish? There will be an up front charge towards the cost of the tooling for this profile and normally a minimum quantity for the order, but if the costs seem make sense, then this may be the way to go.

I've had profiles machined in the past by Norfolk Mounldings and I have been very pleased with the results. There are other companies which are able to do this and no doubt there will be forum members who will be able to give feedback about these other companies.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jay

Post by jay »

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply.... she did just think they'd somehow manage to "whip up" a couple lengths, just for her. I've yet to find out whether it is A&T that have disco'd it (which I suspect) or the manufacturer.... will talk to Rep when he's back from holiday. I appreciate that your suggestion would be the route some would take, but in all honesty, I'm not sure I could get close enough to that finish to satisfy her, and I'm not prepared to waste too much time on this one!! She wanted to take on the challenge of sourcing the moulding herself, as she prides herself with her tenacity, and ability to track stuff down, so was asking me what the codes etc were on my chevron, who my supplier was etc etc.... she won't give up! I'm trying this, then will suggest she tries another framer to see if they might have anything she'd like. I offered her around another dozen options, but there was something she disliked about of them!! :head:
prospero

Post by prospero »

The way the big manufacturers work is to make miles of one pattern in one go and see how it sells. If it's popular
they'll make another mega-batch. But sooner or later the sales are going slow down to the point where it's not viable
to make another lot so it's disco'd. Trouble is, it may not be popular in some areas (this is Euro-wide sales) but in
others people are clamouring for it and they can longer get it. I've seen this happen many times.

Logic dictates that there will be some somewhere in the corner of some framing shop that the owner would be only
too glad to get shot of. But it might be anywhere in Europe (or further) and bringing you and the said moulding together
is an almost impossible task.
If the customer wants to search out 1000s of framers worldwide to get some then good luck to them.

One option is to have a friendly word with A&T and see if their reps could put the word out. Worth a try. :roll:

That's show business. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

http://www.djsimons.co.uk/index.php?rou ... =59&page=2

That's on their site atm. Doesn't mean they have any.... :roll: :lol:
jay

Post by jay »

Oh me..... thank you sooooo much Prospero!! :D :clap: I put item in cart, and all ok 'til I went to log in..... think it's so long ago since I ordered from them that I'm on a new email address! Will phone them in the morning. Very much appreciated, and fingers x'd until it's ordered, and arrived! Dangerous though..... I'm off to see what else they have! :wink:
jay

Post by jay »

Well p****d off!!

Pulled out all the stops to get said moulding here this week, setting up a new account, driving several miles to the bank, not to mention my time searching and on the phone (and your time, those who replied :yes: )

Phoned her just now to tell her it would arrive Wednesday, and I'd have her picture ready to pick up on Thursday to give her time to hang it before her guests arrive on Friday...... only to be told "oh, they're not coming 'til next month"

When I replied, "but you said the 22nd of THIS month" she kind of admitted it was to "hurry me along" :angry:

Got to try and figure out the "right price" to charge her now! :twisted:
prospero

Post by prospero »

We've all had those. :evil: :lol: :ninja:
jay

Post by jay »

Yup..... Not my first, and doubt my last!! :roll:
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I still have two photos that needed to be ready for Xmas '16. I call her at least once per month. She's coming in when she gets paid. I once joked that I was going to start charging storage fees & she told me not to be so rude :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks for posting that. :D I have a lady who called to say she would pick up some photos this
week that I did in '16. Trouble is, I have no idea where they are. :oops: Serves me right for tidying up. :|
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

featurepeice, In theory you have a contract between yourself and your customer, you could send and invoice with a deadline for payment I after which the items will be 'disposed of'. I've got couple of jobs like this hanging around, I'm not sure I'd want to do it for small jobs for larger ones I suspect I might.

This is why I like online and telephone sales. I get paid before I do the work. :clap:
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
jay

Post by jay »

Yeah, I have a couple pieces, just short of £200 worth from 2015. After numerous attempts at getting her to pick them up, I moved them out of my workshop, and in to my "Bothy" for storage. This was a "friend" of a friend. He felt really bad as it was he who recommended me. But he also bloody well lent her my cat basket which he had borrowed.... needless to say, I didn't get that back either!! :roll:
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I recently sold a framed print that had been left since January 2017.
I sold it for the price of the frame and it happened to include a free print.