Are you gluing your frames first and then underpinning or don't you use an underpinner at all? If you do have an underpinner, then glue and pin at the same time.
I glue first, let it set, then underpin. I actually started gluing and underpinning at the same time, but I don't think my underpinner table is level, so it causes even worse problems. I have tried the things you've said and I've tried something similar to the clamp you mentioned, and I didn't like the way the corners could sometimes slip past each other, the reason I went with the 4 way clamp was it has a solid corner. However it can sometimes can damage the corner if you tighten too tight, which is the downside.
Do you mean the top of the frame is not sitting level?
If so it probably is from a warped piece of wood.
Does the wood sit flat and straight before you cut it?
How long have you had it and how are you storing it?
If you sit the corners together on a flat table are they perfectly flush at that point?
Maybe assemble everything face down instead of face up.
I use an underpinner so it pushes up against a pad so the top is almost always level unless the wood is particularly warped.
Sometimes I can force it into place, but if the wood is narrow it can be noticeable.
Yeah the front of the molding being level. It's brand new molding, a few weeks old, stored horizontally, and when I place it on a flat surface it's never 100% level, there's always slight differences however they can be very minor. I've tried face down and it comes out a little worse as when it's face up I can bend the molding to fit perfectly, without me doing that it's always a little out. But again, I think my underpinner is a little out so they don't lie flat on it, which is a shame.
I'm using this from Mainline
https://mainlinemouldings.com/index.php ... y=010-0201 Is this more common in cheaper and thinner moldings?