Why the big secret?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framing Norah

Why the big secret?

Post by Framing Norah »

I found this forum by happy accident.

Considering its usefulness to framers, why have I never seen mention of it in any trade publication? Or have I just missed it?

While not agreeing with absolutely everything that's posted here, I have learned a great deal since joining. The quality of advice, and the generosity with which it is given, is superb, and easily on par with anything that I have seen elswhere.

John, are you deliberately keeping it low profile, is there not enough space for everybody to join in? Do you need extra web space? Do picture framers not have computers, or access to the web? Are framers too shy? Basically, what I'm trying to find out is, why isn't every framer on the forum? Surely they would be if they knew about it.
FN
markw

Post by markw »

I know for a fact that the FATG know of the existence of this forum as i have been told about some of the more negative comments that have been made by participants (mine amognst others). I would guess that you wont see any mention in the FATGs publication because there seems to be a certain paranoia about disention in the ranks from the FATG management.

I always make a point of telling other framers to log in - but i am always suprised at the number of framers who dont use computers for work or leisure.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

It is good that you - at times - do not agree with what is being said on here. It promotes some very good discussions.

Yet FN (by the way, where are you) I totally agree. The number of reps that come in the door, who did not know about this site, was quite embarrassing. They do know now.

It really is a big pity that the trade magazines have not publicised this forum. Even I mentioned it to a very senior member of a certain organisation and was totally 'Gobsmacked' at her immature reply.

John; Bless him; has really tried to engage the 'help' of the trade, yet they appeared to have turned away.

So guys and gals. It is up to us. Membership is slow I agree, but at least it is sloooooooowwwwwwly growing.
John GCF
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

In fairness to the FATG….I’m almost certain they did mention this BB a few years ago in there journal…..I will stand corrected on this point…..there is possible a limit to how often they can mention a topic without seeming silly….

The FATG did for sure mention the US Grumble back a few years ago……

It interesting that the US Journal Picture Framing Magazine is one of the main sponsor’s of the US Grumble http://www.thegrumble.com/

http://www.pictureframingmagazine.com/

Reality is that I suspect with the way modern communications is going this BB and it’s likes will be still around for many years to come and some of the more traditional ways for organisations to communicate with it’s members are going to find the going very tough…….. John just needs to hold steady in a few years the trade will be beating a path to his door…….

I believe that there are very few people worldwide never mind this part of the world, in the framing business who fully understand the power of the internet…..but they better start learning or they are going to find they have missed the boat…

HANDS UP HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE EVER TAKING INTERNET TRAINING>>>>>>>>>NOT COMPUTER TRAINING>>>>>>>>I’M SAYING INTERNET TRAINING……..well at the very least what computer training have you taken……….

I will start…….I have recently realised that I have way to little training in computers and software for my own good…….and in comparison to most on this BB and other similar boards…..I have access to some of the top people in the world when it comes to the use of the Internet and I’m not limited by the hardware or software I can have (someone very close to me works for the biggest computer company in the world)……..reality up to a few months ago I had missed the big picture……the Internet and how I can make use of it.

I have a website www.matting-systems.com up for my new business (a holding page at present) without managing to get listed with Google or Yahoo search engines yet, I have submitted my site to them, ………………..in the area I operate I’m now at or near the top when you do a search for Ireland for “Mats or Matting”……..not bad when I’m relying on directory listings and a few Irish search engines……this is the area of the Internet that is vital and of course how much time and effort you put into your website…….I do feel that you need to manage your own website otherwise it is like outsourcing a sales person……..I’m on a huge learning curve right now…….but boy is it showing results……despite only having one web page up for one week I have already got business from it….

Regards

Dermot

PS
If your feet or back are causing you problems drop me an email and I will do ALL framers a VERY good deal on some top of the range Anti-Fatigue matting
............. :D
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hey Dermot! Long time No Hear!. Best of luck with your new venture.

You are correct in that the FATG did actually mention this forum and the US Grumble. In a printed reply to my letter and stating that they believe these forums are nothing but 'whingeing' outlets.

I also agree with you about the power of the WWW and it is in this area that I really do believe that the two UK publications, ABT and The Picture Framing magazine; by not supporting this forum are really missing a unique opportunity to not only advertise themselves and in the end increase their own membership database, but are failing to let the picture framing world know of the resources, help and advice that is available.

I am also suprised that a distributor/manufacturer has not taken up the chance to put their own banner across the top.
John GCF
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

I just Goggled FATG…..first five pages nothing………………… I gave up

PPFA shows up number two first page…..

No disrespect to the FATG, though I suspect there are those who will take this gentle bit of advice in bad taste rather than in the spirit it is offered…..they badly need to look at some of the search codes they are using…

…and in fairness the link with the PMA have done wonders for the PPFA’S web presences.

PS
If you search Fine Art Trade Guild……. the 2003 financial report shows up as a PDF……..interesting ranking on the FATG site…. http://www.fineart.co.uk/pdf/Annual_Report_2003.pdf
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Rosie and Bhavesh (the IT manager) were told that exact same thing when i met them at the NEC last February.

Wheels grind slowly. That is if they are turning in the first place !!!
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Merlin The wheels are turning - trouble is the carts running back down the hill. I often wonder when the guild are going to wake up and and realy do something positive - backing this forum would be a sensible and positive thing to do - but the attitude that this is a forum for whingers seems to be very strong - makes you wonder what they are scared of.

Dermot - how do you cut one of these fatigue mats - i suppose its lots of cuts until you realy get fed up and totally knackered?
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Thanks to all for bringing me up to speed.

Hats off to Steven for not toeing the party line regarding the forum and 'whingeing' along with the rest of us. :D
FN