Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Jham
Organisation: Hamcon
Interests: Hobby framer

Advice please

Post by Jham »

New to forum and even newer to framing. Just after advice on tools and manufacture. I will be doing this as a hobby for myself and family as a retirement past time. All I have is a dewalt dw 718 mitre saw and general joinery tools, do I need a guillotine or will this saw suffice, do I need a special blade? What other tools would you recommend for a beginner. I am in North East England, County Durham. Anyone selling any kit I might need. I can travel into Yorkshire, Cumbria, Northumberland and grateful of all advice from members.
Thanks in advance.

Jim
prospero

Re: Advice please

Post by prospero »

Hi and Welcome Jim. :D

Such chop saws are better suited to general woodwork where you can make good any tear-outs, etc. The DeWalt brand is
one of the better ones and will give better results than a cheapo model, but it will have it's limitations when it comes to
picture mouldings. It depends on the size and type of mouldings you will be using. Some may cut fine(ish) but others may
give you problems. I have two Makita saws, but while they can cut perfect mitres, I only use them on plain wood which is
to be finished after the frame is joined, thus any gaps or other imperfections get buried. An 80-tooth blade is better than the
general-purpose blade the machine came with.
Smaller mouldings (under 2") are best cut on a guillotine. These are not cheap items, although used Morsos can be had for
a reasonable price and even ancient ones will still work like new. If you spend say, £600 on one, consider that you can easily
ruin that value of moulding using an unsuitable machine. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hello Jim and welcome to the FF :D

Reading your op I see you will be framing "as a hobby for myself and family" In that case, I would take prospero's advice get a more suitable blade for your DeWalt 718 and start making frames with bare wood that can be filled and painted as necessary. The thing is before you fill and paint the mitered lengths require joining. For this, you will need a suitable vice or band clamps.

So far not too much to outlay :wink:

If you decide you wish to take your "hobby" further then consider buying the better kit and by then you would have learned a great deal.

Very best of luck whatever you decide to do and don't forget to keep asking questions.

Jham

Post by Jham »

Thanks for the advice fellas. I have been looking at Morso cutters on eBay. Is the F model a good machine? Being a bit of a tool nerd, I do like good kit and have also been looking at some of nice pre finished mouldings which might suffer break out at the mitres with a chop saw but I’m going to try chop saw first anyway.
Where is best place for mouldings?
Also, are the mounts around a picture cut in strips and mitred at the corners or cut in one piece?
Are there any instructional dvd s available for framing?

Thanks again,

Jim
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Hi Jim welcome to the Forum I'm based in County Durham Barnard Castle to be precise
if you fancy a visit to see Whats what, then please be my guest
My doors are always open to budding Framers. :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

Treat yourself for Crimbo. :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Framin ... 1853911798

There are a few instructional books on framing but that one is more sensible than most.

Beware YouTube vids. Some are silly and some downright dangerous. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Welcome Jim :)

Also have a look at The Framing Oracle (see the top of the left hand column). And reading back threads of this forum will give you an idea of some of the factors to take into account, and pitfalls to look out for. I've seen some members say that they've read every thread of the forum from the year dot :shock:

The book that Prospero has recommended is a good starting point and once you've got an idea of how it all works, I'd definitely take up Ricky's generous offer to show you round to see how it all comes together in practice.

Good luck!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A lot of us cut our teeth on that book. I have the same book as well and would recommend that to anyone looking for a really good book on framing.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jham

Post by Jham »

Thanks again chaps (and lasses if any replied) for the good advice and info today. I've just came online and will check out the book mentioned.
Thanks for the kind invite Ricky, I will take you up on that offer if that's ok and will be in touch in the near future to arrange a convenient time, years since I've been to Barney.
Any further tips, advice and info will be gratefully received.

Thanks again,

Jim
Jham

Post by Jham »

s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg (242.79 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg (254.59 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (251.66 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (280.81 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (252.91 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
Hi again,
I'm looking around for framing kit and not too sure whats what? Thoughts and advice on this Morso would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone know which model this is?
It has a right hand side extension also and a spare set of blades.
What age might this be ?
All comments welcome

Thanks, Jim
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Welcome to the forum Jim :handshake:

If you can read the serial number you can check the age of the machine here:

http://www.morso-guillotines.dk/resources/history.html

You'll find the serial number where I've indicated and you'll also see the letter F which means it is a model F, same as mine and many others :D
Morso.jpg
Morso.jpg (413.44 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

prospero wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Picture-Framin ... 1853911798

There are a few instructional books on framing but that one is more sensible than most.

Beware YouTube vids.
Pete Bingham's book for a penny - that will make his Christmas :lol:

I bought 12 of The Bingsters book when it came out and gave to framers I visited overseas.

V good advice about You Tube vids - avoid as too many are simply How NOT to do it!

Get onto FRAMERS ONLY on Face Book - Mo organises some really good Podcasts How to..... on there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/393302711109534/
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
timwoolcock@aol.com
Organisation: Woolcock Framing Ltd
Interests: Art

Post by timwoolcock@aol.com »

I Have a Morso H semi automatic..great machine but it’s very slow..I have adequate air and have been told it could be the whitish cylinder item at bottom on reverse..not sure of name but formerly if you pressed the bottom air would come out..I think a piece has fallen off..if anyone has advice it’s welcome..I believe I can order a whole new piece from Denmark via a British retailer..
Thanks

Tim