Help with finding this mount

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Artman

Help with finding this mount

Post by Artman »

Hi all,

I've had this picture come in with water damage to the mount, is it possible to get a replacement mount.
Its one of 6 so they would ideally all match, he's wanting to take them to auction.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Attachments
Macmillan mount.jpg
Macmillan mount.jpg (763.09 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
prospero

Re: Help with finding this mount

Post by prospero »

Is the decorative paper laid by hand or is the design printed on?

If the former case then you could theoretically make another mount - if you can find the paper. This technique is very
much '80s style and hardly anybody does it now. That's not to say it's not possible. If you aren't familiar with doing this
I'm sure some skilled person here on the forum could do you one. :D

If its printed on then you have very little chance of finding another. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Matt -
As Prospero rightly says, the tricky part may be finding the paper. Although you can get printed paper, the problem with marbling paper is that it's generally all hand made and each sheet is a one-off. A fantastic source for marbling paper not far from you would be Jemma Lewis in Melksham in Wiltshire. She produces a huge range of papers and has a lot to look through in her studio. Have a look at www.jemmamarbling.com where you can see a range of her products. The other issue is the amount of work involved in doing this kind of job properly. It's fairly time-consuming and the cost would have to be offset against the possible gain to be made by your customer at auction.
Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've zoomed in and given it a closer look. It seems very nicely done. By the look of the board it's on I would date it '60s/'70s. Maybe earlier.

The craft of ruling lines and laying decorative papers is slowly dying out. The print seems to be a genuine antique example and not a repro. :D
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

I agree the mount is fairly old. In fact you can see that from the acidic browning on the edges. Reproducing that mount would be a hopeless task as no-one is going to be able to reproduce the antique tone that the paper has now aquired and that apart from the cost - I'd guess £100+.
If you want the work, I'd suggest you offer to replace all the mounts with some double mounts to pay respect to the value of the prints/watercolours.
And here's the thing. The artwork does have some value as can be seen by the trouble the original framer took in producing the mounts. But if your customer is taking them to auction, then the successful bidder will be a print dealer whose attention would first have been drawn by the importance of the mounts and or the frames. After that they will have junked the mounts and replaced them with a more modern presentation for resale.
But don't tell your customer that if you want the work.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Ah, the memories come flooding back, I used to do that sort of mount way back in the early 90's, used to take a while to do, which is reflected in the price, back then I would be charging around £50 to £60
Pretty glad we don't get asked to do that sort of thing now
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yes. If the customer is just trying to tidy them up for sale then keep them as they are. Dealers do favour things in the original
frames/mounts even if they look like a dog's breakfast. Also, as already said, it would cost a fair bit to do all six and just doing
one would look odd.

btw. I would charge about 150 to do that mount. Bit less for six. :P
Artman

Post by Artman »

Thanks guys,

that's been really helpful.
I don't think he'll want to spend that much as well as I really don't want to do all that, as there are 3 that are damaged.

I think at this point he's better off getting what he can for them.

Thanks again

Matt
SteveB
Organisation: Pellers
Interests: Motorcycles, DIY, Beer, Holidays

Post by SteveB »

Hi,

have you considered scanning in the printed design and having it printed out?

Just a thought. You could do the lines yourself?

Regards Steve