hELLO fROM nEWBURY

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
lynuslynne
Organisation: None
Interests: Picture framing, woodworking, guitar, ukulele

hELLO fROM nEWBURY

Post by lynuslynne »

Hi All,

My early framing interest stemmed from woodworking about 3 years ago, using my own rebated wood. I gradually developed my knowledge and techniques and started buying mouldings and supplies from Lionpic.

I make a low number of high quality frames as a hobby for myself and as gifts to family and friends. I’m based in Newbury, Berkshire and lucky to have a woodworking workshop in the garden.

I have bought various tools over the 3-years but as I delve into using bigger and deeper mouldings my DIY tools start to show their limitations! I currently use a mitre chop saw, a mitre trimmer, and a Keencut Artist mount cutter; everything else I use are DIY handtools including a manual joiner (akin to a Pushmaster).

Lionpic kindly gave me a demo of their underpinners a few weeks ago and recommended this forum as the best place to buy second hand machines.

I am looking forward to perusing the wealth of information shared on this forum but right now I’m keen to get my hands on a decent quality foot operated underpinner, so I will be heading over to the ‘for sale’ sections initially.

I'm also keen to network with other framers and woodworkers nearby, so please say hello.

Many thanks,
Lynne
prospero

Re: hELLO fROM nEWBURY

Post by prospero »

Hi Lynne and Welcome to the Forum. :D

As far as underpinners go they are good for general framing. Quick and no nail holes to fill. Also good for small mouldings.

But.

They have their limitations. I you are producing mainly hand-finished frames, particularly in hard woods then you might
be better off with the old school hammer and nails with a few clamps. Biscuit slots for wider frames and various techniques
for putting splines in corners. Lots of vids on YouTube. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
lynuslynne
Organisation: None
Interests: Picture framing, woodworking, guitar, ukulele

Post by lynuslynne »

Hi Prospero,

Thank you for your quick response and kind advice. Much appreciated.

Lynne
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

wELCOME tO tHE fRAMERS fORUM :? :D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Huge welcome to you, Lynne :handshake:

Underpinners come up on here fairly regularly, and all the time on the dreaded fleabay. Cassese seem to be especially well regarded.

I'm new to framing, and recently acquired a bench-top Morso pinner.....which I will be getting stuck into when my workspace is clear - sometime this month.

Anyway, see you around the boards here - good luck! :D