SUMUP Credit Card Reader

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

SUMUP Credit Card Reader

Post by Bagpuss »

About this time every year, I give some serious thought to getting a Card Reader, the latest one I'm considering is SumUp, no monthly charges and a fixed fee of 1.69% on all cards, apparently ....

Is anyone using SumUp in anger and are you happy with it ?
Thanks in advance,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: SUMUP Credit Card Reader

Post by kuduframes »

Mobile card readers are a great tool to have, just check your mobile signal is ok !
I currently have iZettle and they charge a nominal 2.75% per transaction. SumUp sounds reasonable at 1.69%
Last weekend I had to pay an emergency plumber using SumUp, you could say it was used in anger ! outrageous charges, plumbing has got to be one of the more lucrative services....
Anyway, first time I'd seen SumUp, the user was quite happy with it.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I've been using Square for nearly two years. The advantage being that I can take payments over the phone too, which I don't think you can with the others.
Standard rate is 1.75% and 2.5% for over the phone payments.
Over the phone has just allowed me to ensure I have full payment before starting the job, when customers forget their wallet!
Yes mobile signal is very important! I picked up a mobile signal booster from ebay (all the mobile providers offer these).
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi Bagpus

i use Sum up on an odd occasion, no real complaints. For between £20 to £30 it's a no brainer, its not a great deal to loose if you fall out of love with it.
aceframer
Organisation: Ace Framing & Art Gallery
Interests: framing, art, scouting

Post by aceframer »

I use sumup and find it great, better than a contract one which has some dubious wording and catches !! just add the 1.69% into you costings and thats what you pay, you get a daily sheet from them when they pay you which some each transaction and what the charges were - amex takes a little longer but is still 1.69% rather than 5% on a normal machine - if you dont use it you dont pay anything
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Thank you all for your comments, I think I need to just bite the bullet !
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

I use iZettle and am very happy with it. The fees are 1.75% of the transaction and no monthly fees. The card reader sits on a very neat stand which was included and I actually get a lot of customers commenting on how stylish this setup looks.
Tom Chambers
Organisation: Framed By TC
Interests: Photography

Post by Tom Chambers »

I use iZettle and very easy to use, I also have the stand and does look good.
Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss »

Jules007 wrote:I use iZettle and am very happy with it. The fees are 1.75% of the transaction and no monthly fees. The card reader sits on a very neat stand which was included and I actually get a lot of customers commenting on how stylish this setup looks.
Out of interest, do you have to pay a different rate for a Credit card as opposed to a Debit card ? Also, when do you actually see the money go into your account ? is that amount minus the fee ? This is all new to me : )
Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
Tom Chambers
Organisation: Framed By TC
Interests: Photography

Post by Tom Chambers »

Bagpuss wrote: Out of interest, do you have to pay a different rate for a Credit card as opposed to a Debit card ? Also, when do you actually see the money go into your account ? is that amount minus the fee ? This is all new to me : )
Thanks,
Adam/Bagpuss
The money tends to go into your account within 2 days from when transactions are made, and is minus the fees. Rate is the same for credit and debit cards. They also have an invoice option which is 2.5% (I use this for my photography clients to get deposits paid).
Jules007

Post by Jules007 »

It's 1.75% for all cards including American Express. The money generally is transfered to your nominated bank account 24 hours later.

I also use a dedicated Huawei 7' tablet to run the app instead of using my phone. This is also on a stand which along with the iZettle on it's stand looks very smart and professional to the customer.

It's all really easy and straightforward to set up and you shouldn't be worried that it will be complicated. I know a few other people who are complete technophobes and they have this setup.
Splitstop
Organisation: Ncs leisure enterprises ltd
Interests: Country sports

Post by Splitstop »

Lots of positive feedback I use iZettle they have just launched there 2nd generation card reader on special offer £19 I got my brother one yesterday & got my self another reader super fast as mentioned above I got a dongle wit Pete paid SIM card just in case there is no signal I use it in 3 separate lines of business the joy of it being mobile and freedom of moving it around good luck you won’t be disappointed with buying any of these loads of people don’t carry cash today
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Post by tebbles »

I used Sumup for years, thought it was the best thing ever because there was no monthly fee. A lot of times Sumup was very slow. I talked to my bank about their much more reliable terminal, took the leap and went with them even though they had a scary monthly fee. After a few months realised how much money I saved by switching. Beware of the costs of Sumup, it is very appealing if you are only doing 5 or 6 transactions a week.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Out of interest, how do you customers feel about not getting a paper receipt when they pay, I know you can text or email on, or if you pay a lot for a printer, but if you don't have a printer
I have iZettle for private use, thing of using it in the shop
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Jules007

Post by Jules007 »

I use a printer with iZettle which automatically prints a receipt.

I would want a proper receipt if I were the customer and not have to give my email address or mobile number. We also sell greetings cards and the customer just wants to hand over the money, get a receipt and go. They don't want to have to give their email address if they've only spent £2.95.

Unfortunately the printer is the most expensive part of the setup and you need to make sure you buy one that is compatible with your reader and that uses Bluetooth.

Out of interest, what monthly fees are others paying for a card reader from a bank or other provider?
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

I am sure Sumup and the like have their limitations, but for a small start up they are fine and only when you get to do more transactions do you perhaps look elsewhere. On saying that, I visited Barcelona football club and the whole facility were using iZettle both mobile and fixed terminal.

On the receipt front, customers at first are a wee bit sceptical about a text or email receipt, but they are generally ok. In fact, they find the novelty of the card reader a real point of interest.
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

My terminal rental from Worldpay is £14.95 + VAT a month

Just had a letter from them this week to say some of the charges are going up :head:
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Jules007

Post by Jules007 »

Is that all you pay or do you still have to pay a % or a charge per transaction as well?
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

No, still have to pay % for each transaction on top of the terminal fee,plus there is a minimum fee of £10.00 so if all the % of what you have taken payment for does not add up to £10.00 , you will get charged £10.00
So if I decided to take a months holiday and didn't take any payments, I would be charged

£14.95 +VAT for the terminal

£10.00 minimum charge

There was a time when I was selling on two websites, both offered payment by Worldpay and PayPal, so each site had the £10.00 minimum charges, in effect £20.00 , some months nearly every customer paid by PayPal , on maybe 1 paid via Worldpay, and that sale might be £7.50 so I was charged £10.00 in minimum charges, so made a loss, now we only use PayPal for payments on our site
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Jules007

Post by Jules007 »

How much are the % charges?