Frames Per Day

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Framing Norah

Frames Per Day

Post by Framing Norah »

What would be the average daily output per framer? Given that there will be massive variations from day to day, depending on the type of work that comes through the door, it should still be possible to come up with some sort of 'average day'.

I remember reading somewhere that a good rate for a bespoke framer is 18 frames per day. We must be doing something wrong, our workshop comes nowhere near that figure.

Maybe it's something to do with workshop layout - we seem to do a lot of charging about as each frame progresses through its various stages. Also, we tend to take each job through to completion before starting on the next, simply because it is more satisfying to do it that way (who wants to spend a whole day cutting glass, followed by a day of cleaning/fitting, etc?).

FN
sarah

Post by sarah »

Hey Norah

I think that this is a question that doesn't have an answer. It is impossible to gauge how many frames a workshop can do, as each job is different. If the job was a simple poster with just frame and glass you could probably do 18 no worries, but if it was hand finished number with twiddley bits (yes folks this is a framing term used often in our workshop :wink: ) You may only get 1 frame completed.

Oh and bear in mind coffee breaks/lunch/phone calls/faults/etc etc, they can all take away from framing time and in the end completed jobs.

On a good day we would average about 12, but as long as we are getting jobs done on time for our customers we aren't too concerned about how many jobs we get done in a day.

Quality not quantity :wink:
markw

Post by markw »

i would agree with Sarah - quality not quantity - probably better to look at the amount of income generated - even then i wouldnt look at figures for a single day as it can be quite demoralising - average over the month. i suspect that i work like many others on the basis of what i have to get out the next day - if its eighteen complicated frames its going to be a long day.
FramerDave

Post by FramerDave »

Simple question, no easy answers.

The figure I've seen bandied about a lot has been that an experienced framer can do a "typical" job of cutting and joining a wood moulding, double mount glass and drymount and finishing in about an hour. Take that for what it's worth.

I've had very good success in producing a larger number by doing more of a production line method in which I do all the mounting for a number of jobs, then the mats, cut the moulding, join them and then do all the fitting. Yes, it can be sort of tedious, but it's much more efficient and profiable.

If you want to establish some benchmark figures start tracking your individual and shop production. As each job is finished, note the dollar (excuse me, pound) value of each job. At the end of the day divide it by the number of hourse worked, and then do the same thing on a weekly basis. This gives you value per hour figure that evens out the high-volume low-value jobs with the lower-volume higher-ticket jobs that take longer. You know, the ones with lots of twiddly bits.
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

Frames Per Day

Post by Underpinner »

As has been pointed out already, there is no answer to this one. It also depends on how many productive hours there are in your day - ie. time spent making frames rather than talking to customers (hopefully the latter is "productive" in its own way), ordering supplies, tidying the shop, etc. luch and coffee breaks. I try to achieve5-6 productive hours in a day and I will make perhaps 5 "average" frames for prints/watercolours/photographs (say, 20 x 16in to 24 x 20in with glass, mounts etc.) assuming that they are of similar specifications. I might stretch and frame three tapestries (of a similar size) with windowmounts in the same time. I do not have much opportunity to make larger numbers of smaller or simpler frames but I guess the output would be much greater for these - though I do not accept work where I am expected to produce quantity at the expense of quality.
In my experience it is worth producing frames in groups of up to (say) six at a time. For example, cut all the mounts, then assemle them, then add the pictures. Next cut the glass, then assemble the mouldings (I use chop service mainly), then assemble he frames, seal with tape and add the hanging fittings. It is amazing how much time is otherwise spent on picking up and putting down various tools and tidying them away between the stages of making frames individually.
I realise that my production figures are somewhat lower than all others quoted so far but I am happy with the balance between time spent and blemish-free frames produced - yet my prices seem reasonable if comments elsewhere in the forum are any guide. I also suspect that those with relatively low daily figures have been a bit reluctant to join in this discussion - so far anyway.

Underpinner.
John Williams
JonC

frames per day

Post by JonC »

Interesting reading. I dont think of the no of frames per day. more of the ratio of labour cost per day and their (employee) output for that paid labour. They have got to output at least 5 times their wage cost finished sales. or im in a loss situation.
I am thinking of changing to a basic wage and then a bonus of 10% of the cost of the finished (perfect) frames they produce. Any mistakes and remakes are going to be taken out of the 10%. Ie if they want to talk all day they will find it hard to live, If they work turning out perfect frames they could earn decent money.
Sounds hard but Im fed up with the sweet frames going out the door to their friends and mates.
John C
markw

Post by markw »

ah - now i remember why i am my own boss!