c+h m48 advantage

Post by red »

hi folks

any opinions on the above ,how do they compare to keencut gold
and are spares available?

many thanks
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: c+h m48 advantage

Post by Not your average framer »

The C&H Advantage Pro range are superb quality of design and manufacturing and I would say head and shoulders above both Keencut and Fletcher-Terry, but there are differences which are worth noting.

Keencut mountcutters have the start of cut stop finger as part of the sliding cutting head, which I personally find very convenient, whereas both C&H and Fletcher-Terry have a separate stop for this and this leads to a difference in the way you work compared to the Keencut.

There is a massive phosphor bronze sliding bearing on the cutting head for the C&H Advantage Pro, compared to ball races on the Fletcher-Terry and nylon bearings on the Keencut.

I'm pretty sure that the price tag for the C&H Advantage Pro is much more that either Keencut, or Fletcher Terry. However, I don't know enough to compare the quality of the respective brands with regard to spare back up.

I've always liked the C&H Advantage Pro myself, but never managed to own one.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
sisters
Organisation: hereford
Interests: ummmmm picture framing !

Post by sisters »

I am unable to locate any spares for my c+h , no reply from Nielsen when I emailed them about where to get spares from!
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

many thanks for replies,one of my thoughts was availability of spares!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I doubt that there is normally any need for spare parts, years ago I had two of the early C&H mountcutters (a 4040 and later a 4060) neither were the Advantage Pro, which is the currently available model. Both of these mountcutters were quite old and still in perfect condition, C&H mountcutters are beautifully engineered and made so that nothing will normally ever wear out.

I don't think that spare parts is ever likely to be an issue, but spares will be obtainable, you just need to talk to the right person at Nielsen Bainbridge which may take a little more effort s it's difficult getting past the normal telephone sales girls, to speak to someone more technical, however it can still be done.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

thanks for that, I must admit I do like the look of them
they look very sturdy.

thanks
prospero

Post by prospero »

My mountcutter is a C&H and pre-dates the Advantage Pro (about 1987).
I Haven't managed to wear it out yet and still does perfect cuts. It cost a fair bit but earned it's keep. :D

One slight niggle is setting the guide bar which slips unless you are careful to lock it properly and you have to lock it at both ends.

I've never really liked the metal body on the Keencut. A bit cold and unfriendly, but that's just me. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

No way would I call you 'cold and unfriendly' Mr. P. Quite the opposite. :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About