Cassese cs199 vs cs299

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Cassese cs199 vs cs299

Post by Justintime »

Hi All,
Does anyone have views on these two machines?
Opinions, knowledge of their differences or any useful input to decide between the two?
Thanks
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Re: Cassese cs199 vs cs299

Post by Jayvee »

299 mxl I own...if I remember - 299 has moveable back fences to adjust the back edge of the frame (if it’s not square to the base of the moulding) 199 doesn’t...
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Hi Justin -
I've got a 299 ultra, which I bought about a year ago, and I've been so pleased with it. It's built like a tank and is incredibly robust. I think Jayvee is right, in that the 199 has fixed fences and the 299 has the multi position fences that allow you to adjust the back of the moulding against the fence. I bought my machine from Jamie Griffiths at TGS Repairs in Basildon, who also do on-site servicing. When I first tried the machine, I found that when the wedge was driven into the moulding, the back of the moulding sometimes pushed back against the adjusters at the last moment and resulted in a less than ideal join. Jamie has been fitting lots of 299's, including mine, with custom made solid fences as on the 199 and it's made a huge difference. I've never missed having the adjusters and the joins I'm getting are first class. The clamps on these machines are really strong, so provided you carefully check the join once you've got it clamped, what you see is what you get - every time. I guess that knowing what I know now, I would probably go for the 199 with the solid fences, but these machines hardly ever come up second hand so you don't always get a choice. Most people buy them and run them into the ground, which is why they hardly ever appear on the market.
Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Justin -
There's a video on YouTube about these machines - tried to paste a link but the tech defeated me - search 'Cassese 299mxl 199mxl' and you'll find it. I suggest watching with the sound down - worst music track ever!
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Justin :D

This thread has made me stop and think as I'm on the verge of upgrading to a cs200.

I would really appreciate your thoughts regarding the two machines you mention and the cs200. If anyone else wants to offer an opinion I would be very interested in hearing their thoughts.

Peter.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I have decided to upgrade to this second hand cs200. Although it has been well used it appears to be in excellent condition.

Because these machines rarely come up for sale there is very little bench mark as regards price, therefore I'm not sure of what the second hand price should be. At least I do not need to buy a compressor and I will be keeping my old cs89 in reserve for a short while.

I would be very interested in hearing any thoughts other users of the cs200 have and if there is anything I should be aware of?

Peter.