Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Uneven cut on Morso

Post by Trecelyn »

Hi

I hope everyone is keeping well!

I'm having a problem with cutting (mainly Oak) frames. I've had the blades sharpened and checked for damage and they are apparently ok. For some reason there is a small chunk of wood taken out of the left hand mitre cut. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I attach a photo.

Thanks in advance.

T
Attachments
Oak mitre
Oak mitre
BeatnikFraming
Organisation: Beatnik Framing
Interests: Photography, music, art, crafts

Re: Uneven cut on Morso

Post by BeatnikFraming »

This normally happens to me if the rebate support isn't set exactly to the right height. If there's a slight gap then the wood can bend down with the pressure as it's being cut and end up uneven. It helps to take a tiny slither off on the last cut too.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Is the wood trying to move slightly to one side at some point during the cut. This can sometimes be a bit of a problem, when the Morso is trying to take the line of least resistance. The way to check this is to clamp the oak moulding to the bed of the machine and to see if this stops the problem from occurring . The big clue here is the fact that you are saying that this is happening with oak and this is so much harder than most offer types of wood.

Is this happening on the right hand side, or the left hand side? There is a bit of a difference in what may be the solution to correcting this problem depending on which side this is occurring. I have added an extra morso spare clamp to the short rule on the right hand side, because the short rule pulls away from the long rule pulls away from long rule, when the oak moulding pushes really hard against the short rule during cutting.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Is the wood trying to move slightly to one side at some point during the cut. This can sometimes be a bit of a problem, when the Morso is trying to take the line of least resistance. The way to check this is to clamp the oak moulding to the bed of the machine and to see if this stops the problem from occurring . The big clue here is the fact that you are saying that this is happening with oak and this is so much harder than most offer types of wood.

Is this happening on the right hand side, or the left hand side? There is a bit of a difference in what may be the solution to correcting this problem depending on which side this is occurring. I have added an extra morso spare clamp to the short rule on the right hand side, because the short rule pulls away from the long rule pulls away from long rule, when the oak moulding pushes really hard against the short rule during cutting.

To be honest, looking at the photo, I am more likely to think that the sight edge is moving downwards during the cut due to a little bit too much movement between the sight edge and the rebate support. Adjusting the height of the rebate support, is sometimes only a partial fix, because the's more of a gap between the blades and the rebate support than is completely neccesary. The is a little bit of a design weakness on all Morso and not always completely possible, without resorting to more extreme measures.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Post by Trecelyn »

Many thanks for the replies. It seems that I need to secure the moulding before cutting and check the rebate supports.
Thanks again.

Best

T.
NessFramers
Organisation: NessFramers
Interests: Football, walking, sermons

Post by NessFramers »

Please may I suggest trying to cut it upside down as it looks like quite a flat piece of oak and see what you think.
Cheers. :D