Out of town

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

Out of town

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

It's another premises question sorry. We have a really nice little successful business that keeps my wife and I. The business under 2 owners has been where it is for many decades. It is in a town but not on the high street but pretty central. Our lease is ending and will not be renewed. Although we have not been given notice it is likely imminent and we don't want to be on the back foot. Premises near us are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings unless you want a high street shop which in our town is not financially viable for just the 2 of us. I have found a premises that will work size wise (allbeit tight) however it is a little out of town. It is exactly 5mins drive door to door from our place now. It is on a really nice business park with no heavy industry and a couple of similar style type businesses, it has it's own parking, disabled access and fully serviced with internet etc. We are however worried that we will loose a great deal of business if we move that far away and out of town. Has anyone experienced similar? I'm thinking a little that people are likely to follow us as i believe picture framing is not a footfall driven business.
Any thoughts please? I's a pretty testing time for us TBH
Thanks in advance
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Out of town

Post by Not your average framer »

Usually a business in a new location is essentially a fresh start and is therefore a new business, not a rebirth of the old one. You are starting again from scratch and that most likely includes finding a new customer base.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Your existing customers will probably be delighted - I know I would! So much more convenient to be able to drive right up to the door with no parking problems, particularly if they’re picking up a heavy picture. Possibly more difficult for somebody travelling by public transport - is it on a bus route?

Are there any other picture framing shops in the centre of town? That might pose a risk of losing some existing customers, but I wouldn’t mind betting it’s unlikely that you’d lose many (if any) that way. Some of my customers have made a 20 minute journey to me because they’ve not been impressed with the other couple of picture framers in the area, so 5 minutes doesn’t sound like a problem.

So new customers - how do you currently get them? Passing trade possibly, but if there’s no shop to pass by, then it’s odds-on people will look for a framer on the internet, and hopefully find you.

The other thing about being slightly out-of-town is that there might be billboards close by that you could advertise on, and people are more likely to see them when there’s a bit more space around, rather than being in a cluttered town centre.

Is there any alternative anyway? Or is it a case of taking these premises and doing as much as you can to retain existing customers and making sure that your web site is encouraging to new customers and at the top of Google?
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

You have already got a reputation with previous customers, letting them know were to find you in your new location is a good first move!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

When you signed your lease (originally) did you opt out of the Landlord and tenant act?

If not, then you can’t be served notice.

I’ve just been through this.
InofftheRed
Organisation: AMHL
Interests: Creating sawdust

Post by InofftheRed »

Does the L&T Act extend to commercial properties, I thought it was to provide protection for residential properties/
Not your average framer

How big is the industrial unit, which you are considering? If it is big enough you might be able to share the business unit with a photographer and get some business making frames for the photographer as well. Down here in Devon it is not uncommon from two businesses to share one industrial unit and there is often a helpful connection between the two businesses. It is also very helpful to be able to share things like heating and lighting costs.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

If it only 5 minutes away, then your existing customers will follow, I move about 10 miles and it a good 1/2 hour drive and harder to park, and I still get existing customers bloody finding me :giggle:
Admittedly not a lot, but I prefer it that way, as I have gone part time / semi-retired, I'm sure you will go from strength to strength :clap: :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Lots of framers are working from home and using their garages. Local authorities usually stipulate that customers must come by appointment only, if you are working from home. This is another possibility which may work for some!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

InofftheRed wrote: Mon 08 Nov, 2021 10:38 am Does the L&T Act extend to commercial properties, I thought it was to provide protection for residential properties/
Yes, it applies to commercial properties.

As long as you haven’t breached your lease then you are protected. The landlord cannot change the terms, only the rent. There are a couple of exceptions, but on those cases compensation must be paid.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have moved 8-10 minutes drive away from my previous workshop and my customers have been fine with it. I sent an email to my customers to announce the move and changed my details on my website and google.

On a couple of occasions, customers have turned up at my old workshop and called from there asking where i was. When i have explained, they have been fine and just driven straight to my new workshop, so i really think you will be fine.

I reckon that if you have better parking anyway, customers will probably prefer your new premises.

Good luck with it all.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Mikey the 2nd
Organisation: New business
Interests: Work and work

Post by Mikey the 2nd »

Sorry for the delay in thanking everyone for the advice. We decided not to take it in the end. There were simply too many compromises, size, layout, location etc.
Still looking
Mike