Courier

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cookinfat
Organisation: Corve Picture Framers & Movie Posters
Interests: Life

Courier

Post by cookinfat »

Hi
Can out anyone here advise on finding a cheap reliable UK courier who could transport on (Hopefully) a regular basis picture frames with acrylic instead of glass at approx size of 36 × 46 inches and 33 X 46 inches & I would imagine weighing about 6kg. These will be ready made for cinema posters of which I have a large stock and am hoping to utilise both toward starting my business in picture framing. Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you
Stan.
gavinr
Organisation: Dust & Ink
Interests: screenprinting

Re: Courier

Post by gavinr »

I’ve used various couriers for years.

Parcel force: reliable but expensive, generally best ‘standard’ insurance. Cheapest is to book online and drop off at a post office, if you are near a depot cheaper again.

Parcel monkey/parcel 2 go/inter parcel: generally one of them will have the very cheapest option but standard insurance is low. Also if you have to claim they are the very worst to get cash from verging on impossible as they are just a middleman.

Hermes: cheap but incredibly unreliable. Do payout though on loss/damage.

TNT: I used to use this more than anyone else, not necessarily the cheapest, cheaper than parcel force, but reliable, good cover and would payout for loss.

Overall when you declare goods make sure you are covered, and don’t be afraid to be creative in what you call your item. I used to make wooden surfboards and surfboards were not covered, so I called them ‘decorative wooden items’ and never had a problem.

Final top tip, for free cardboard, and ultimate recycling, go down the local high street and ask in shops for boxes as they have to pay to dispose of cardboard and especially independents willingly give it away. Shoe shops have excellent size strong boxes, and for really big boxes ask a local bike shop.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Courier

Post by Justintime »

I use https://uk.interparcel.com/couriers/ to find the best prices.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer