Artwork stuck down with double-sided tape. How to approach when re-framing?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Artwork stuck down with double-sided tape. How to approach when re-framing?

Post by WannabeFramer »

Hello again,

A customer has brought me this to be re-framed. It is very well loved, but has been previously stuck down with double-sided tape onto basic board which is now showing through. I have had a very tentative feel and am not willing to try to remove it as I think it will tear. I have told them my magic wand is broken.

But I'm not really sure how to approach re-framing it style-wise. They are looking at chunky dark frames (LJ Urbane 432436000), which they love in itself but does not really go with the colour board it is on (sort of a browny-grey).

I could cut round the board and the lip of the frame would cover it, but that would lose the deckle edge they like. They asked for a sample of this gold frame, but I'm just not sure.

I'm not feeling it myself and struggling to know what to suggest really. Is there a trick I am missing? They are stuck with the current board aren't they?
IMG_5330.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_5322.JPG
IMG_5321.JPG
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Re: Artwork stuck down with double-sided tape. How to approach when re-framing?

Post by JKX »

They're not necessarily stuck with that board.

A paper conservator could remove it and any residue, it's worth finding one, or two if you can, anyway. (Regards your other current thread - then you'll find someone who DOES know how to charge :lol: )

You could also put a new mount as close as possible to the edge of the paper, revealing just a sliver of the old one, it would look like a double mount.

Some framers would have a go at removing it too - it may come off easily with heat and any residue maybe can be removed with a mixture of pumice and French chalk. I'm not suggesting you try that but a rummage through some antique shops' "ephemara" boxes will give you plenty to practice on.

If they like the look of that chunky frame that's fine but I think wide mount and narrow frame (in relation) always looks best for most stuff like this.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

I've been to the pub and was thinking about this again. Begging forgiveness for my typing in advance..... :lol: I am probably overthinking it but they are coming back tomorrow.

I'm not trying to do anything with the picture itself, I have already told them that I can't do anything about the tape marks etc myself and it would be a conservator job, and they are OK with that. Maybe a long time in the future, but I'm not going to go there at the moment. My stress levels wouldn't take it. Good shout on practicing though. I am in the middle of nowhere but need to find fellow people to network with for things like this.

I just can't seem able to envision a nice frame for it, and I still only have a limited selection of chevrons. I know it all comes down to customer choice, but most of my customers thus far want me to make suggestions and I keep drawing a blank. It was in a white frame which I actually thought looked quite nice. But they want a change and not white. And keep going towards the chunky frames which I am a bit meh about. And also scared to quote for....

I like the idea of a different mount around it, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I will try some skinnier frames, but then could that lead me down the route of subframes, which I don't know enough about yet? (And linking to my other thread, not a clue how to price).Subframes were going to be another topic I asked about at some point....
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I don’t mean so thin it would need a subframe, which on a piece that size would be REALLY thin. If the mount width is 76mm then maybe 25-30mm for the moulding.

On mount widths, all my samples were 100mm wide, most, like L juhl, are only 75 and some less still. You can’t show anything wider than what you have.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

WannabeFramer wrote: Thu 29 Jun, 2023 6:58 pm They are looking at chunky dark frames (LJ Urbane 432436000), which they love in itself but does not really go with the colour board it is on (sort of a browny-grey).
If they love the profile but not the colour, I'd probably be offering them the same profile but in black (or black with a silver or gold s/e). LJ offer all these alternatives, and in different widths.

It's difficult to suggest any other options without knowing the size or seeing the whole artwork.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

If you do decide to add another mount, a black core option would probably be best so that it blends in with the existing mount.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you all.

I hadn't even thought of adding a mount and we have ended up with a double mount.

Well the customer came and we had a good old time playing. They randomly picked up some mount colours which we hadn't thought of, but they actually work really well and tone in with the picture, frame and board. So we are going with this. Sizes to be tweaked and the photo washes it out, but I think it is going to look really nice, and the customer was almost jumping with excitement. :-)

AND I priced it up properly this time using FrameR :-)
357555310_264800072854568_8571997292789444136_n.jpg
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

That looks great!
I can highly recommend getting a copy of the Greg Perkins book "Guidelines for Great Frame Design". Greg also posts design ideas on some of the Facebook framing groups, well worth diving into.
In my experience, it's well worth contacting a paper conservator to discuss this with, now that it has arisen. You can talk through the problem, get an idea of the cost for the job and have some confidence in offering it as an option next time.
I have used Kate Armor a number of times. She was incredibly helpful when I started out and knew nothing about the work of a conservator. She gave me a simple understanding of the processes and price points and has undertaken a number of jobs for me over the last few years, resulting in very happy customers!
https://www.armorpaper.co.uk/about
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thanks Justin,

That book is now in my shopping basket with Lionpic, and another couple tentatively. (I couldn't persuade the local library it would be a good addition to their stock... :lol: )

Thank you for the Kate Armor info, I will definitely give her a call as these kind of things will come up again and it will be good to know what can/can't be done to inform customers.

You have all been very helpful as always. :-)