Mount border width cutting calculation.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
WannabeFramer
Organisation: Arlais Framing
Interests: Arts, crafts, framing and walking

Mount border width cutting calculation.

Post by WannabeFramer »

Hi, am I over thinking this? Say I measure some artwork and want a 50mm border, so calculate the overall glass size. The frame has a rebate width of 5 mm.

I set my cutter to 50mm, but once in the frame only 45mm border is visible.

Should I actually be adding on the rebate width to the cut measurement? Cutting 55mm so the whole 50mm border is visible, and making the glass size 5mm bigger all round to compensate?

Or am I just hurting my brain needlessly.... :?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Mount border width cutting calculation.

Post by Justintime »

When you're measuring your design on the table with artwork, mount chevron and moulding, stick your ruler under the moulding rebate and measure back to the bevel edge of the mount. This will give you the mount width that you require. Add 2mm on to your glass size for the frame size. If you're not using software, I suggest writing down Image Size, Mount Width, Glass Size and Frame Size, to reduce costly mistakes.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Think of it as two different named versions of the measurement. You have the mount border size, and the visible border size. As Justin says, you can check the rebate depth of the moulding to see what the difference in those would be.

We tend to just use the terminology with customers of mount border size, knowing that some of it will be hidden away under the rebate and taking that into account when choosing the border size at the design desk with the customer. But we have one gallery we work for who specify "visible border size" to make sure they are getting the visual look they are after.

The other benefit from your viewpoint is that if you are selling a 55mm mount border (equivalent to say 50mm visible border), then it is a bigger frame overall, so more money in the till. :clap:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

See attached drawing as an example (not to scale).

The visible art is 800 x 500.
The visible mount is 50 all round.
Another 3mm of mount fits under the rebate.
So the overall size to cut both the mount and the glass is 906 x 606.

You may know this already but the glass/mount/undermount "sandwich" should not fit too tightly inside the frame.
Screen Shot 2023-07-19 at 13.39.00.png
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

I place a moulding chevron on the mount chevron and ask customers to decide visually how wide they want the mount to be. Once they've decided on the visual width they want, I measure from under the rebate to the bevelled edge of the mount.

In practice very few customers would be able to tell the difference between a 50mm mount and a 47mm mount. But I seem to remember one forum member posting a few years ago about a customer who complained that the mount was not the size he expected due to the rebate taking up some of it and it caused a problem. So you do right to check.
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Thank you all. My mind is at ease now.

I have always been measuring from the back of rebate in front of customers, but last night had a huge brain melt. :oops: That if I had measured 50, said 50 and written 50 down, whether 50 should actually be visible and that I was doing it all wrong.

One little thing, I have been measuring to the back of the bevel on the underside. Justin and Rainbow, do you mean you measure to the front of the bevel or am I reading that wrong?
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I don't understand the question, the underside? Anyway, unless they're an artist/gallery (as Jo said) who explicitly request a visible width, that 50 figure you say out loud is just for your design spec, to the customer it is just "that much".
From what you say, I think you know what you are doing, it is as simple as it seems :D
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Justintime wrote: Wed 19 Jul, 2023 3:15 pm From what you say, I think you know what you are doing, it is as simple as it seems :D
Me? Not a clue :lol:
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Wannabe,

Feel free to call me if you want to discuss (I’m on my mobile until back in the shop tomorrow).

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

WannabeFramer wrote: Wed 19 Jul, 2023 2:27 pm One little thing, I have been measuring to the back of the bevel on the underside. Justin and Rainbow, do you mean you measure to the front of the bevel or am I reading that wrong?
I think you're asking "do you measure to the edge of the facing paper, before the bevel starts, or do you include the width of the bevel". Tbh I'm not that precise, and I can't think of any customer who has been interested in a precise measurement either. Mostly they're not that sure what looks right anyway and they leave it to me to fine tune the width of the mount. As long as I don't give them a wide mount when they really wanted a narrow one, then all is well!
WannabeFramer

Post by WannabeFramer »

Yes I do, and thank you all :-)