Mounting a leather stencil

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Mounting a leather stencil

Post by AtelierFrames »

A customer brought in this leather object for framing yesterday. Its from Cambodia and has sentimental value to her.

We talked through options on how best to mount and I suggested using invisible thread as it has lots of tiny holes punched in to form the design. The customer is happy with this approach, but I thought I would ask the group if they had any other suggestions or recommended methods to secure it to the mount board.

It will be framed with a slip mount to hold it away from the glass. It's approximately 26 x 34 cm.

Thanks
Lisa
Attachments
20230726_194455.jpg
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Mounting a leather stencil

Post by JFeig »

I would suggest using regular cotton thread as it has a lower breaking strength and be less likely to cut into the item.
Note: Not all the leather used in this "tourist art" is properly cured into true leather and may be off-gassing for years.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I would use mylar straps, cut as fine as you like.

They’re flat, threads can cut in to it and/or abrade, plus threads have to be tied at the back and can leave play.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
AtelierFrames
Organisation: Atelier Frames
Interests: Arts, crafts, sports, outdoors

Post by AtelierFrames »

Thanks for both replies. I have a roll of mylar so I will try with this first, before trying with a regular cotton thread.

Thanks 👍