Tray frame identification...

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Zac
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Currently a freelance web developer, transitioning to a freelance framer

Tray frame identification...

Post by Zac »

Hi all,

I inherited a load of mouldings from the guy I bought my business off, including a short length of what I can only assume is called a double tray frame with a step in it.

Does anyone recognise it, know the supplier or even just know the correct term for a tray frame with a step in it as I'm having trouble finding anything similar.

Picture below, plus a quick diagram of it's profile and dimensions.

Any help gratefully received :c)

p.s. apologies if I've embedded these images incorrectly, I couldn't work out any other way to include them
Zac
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Tray frame identification...

Post by Justintime »

It's a PIA to use for canvases, as stretched canvases are rarely square or artists use those cheap shop bought ones that are bowed in the middle. The customer is more often than not unhappy with the finished look as I am. They're ok for perfectly square cut painted boards though.
It looks like Lions L2513.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Yes these are called "Two Way L" mouldings from Lion.

They can be used either way round, hence the name, but have limited use due to the step. I mostly stock the solid ash version and use it for customers who want a skinny tray.
Zac
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Currently a freelance web developer, transitioning to a freelance framer

Post by Zac »

And that's why I love this forum :heart:

Thank you Justintime and girlfromkent, that's the exact same moulding, and now I know what it's called (and what it's really for)!
Zac