Ready made backs

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Ready made backs

Post by girlfromkent »

Hi All

Those that make ready mades, or ship your frames, what do you do on the back of the frame in terms of hanging?

I'm thinking either sawtooth screwed into the frame, or mdf backs with sawtooth attached but how do folk achieve this without the expensive press fix attaching thingy?

Neither wessex or lion seem to do ready made backs with fixings. Just wondering what you all do

Thanks
Megan
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: Ready made backs

Post by vintage frames »

You can attach those press-on hangers to an MDF board and without having to buy the rather expensive tool.

But you do need some sort of an anvil first.
I used a 12" square of 1" thick steel. I had to order this from a metal workshop. Maybe ask at a farriers about old anvils.

If you can get the anvil then all you need to do is locate the hanger in position and tape it down with masking tape.
Cover the two fixing points with a block of hard wood and give the whole a mighty thump with a lump hammer.

I used to make hundreds that way.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I never liked the usual ready made hangers, as a user or a framer.

One in the centre of the frame makes pivoting possible and you’re forever straightening your frames on the wall.

When fixed to the backing board the same applies plus if the frame has any weight the backing board can bow out.

So I simply drilled four pilot holes in the frame (one each side so it could go portrait or landscape) and included a small poly bag with two D rings, screws a coil of cord or wire and a pair of felt bumpers.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Most of my stock of ready made frames have those brass plated slip-over hangers slip on the edge of the backing board, they do look a lot nicer than the standard black slip-over hanger. When I last needed to buy them, I could not get them in smaller quantities, so had to buy a bag of 1,000 hangers, not expecting to ever need to buy anymore! My better quailty ready made frames are generally fitted with D-ring and picture cord. I wish that I could do something more distinctive, but it's not really viable any more.

Backs for customer framing orders are sometimes made from some off cuts of 6mm thick MDF, if I need something more ridgid. I still have two boxes of what were originally 1,000 clips, bars and the spit rivets, which I got in a job lot from a framer closing down, maybe I'll find a way of using them one day. Ready made frames definitely need something special about them to help persuade customers to buy them and doing something special with the backs seems to be the most likely option.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks All

I think I'm going to go with John's suggestion and just provide cord and d rings.

:yes: