Thick repair wax

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thick repair wax

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to buy a really thick repair wax some years ago, which set to a very hard durable finish. It's no longer obtainable anymore. I no longer have any, I am being sounded out to do some repair work for a couple of previously regular customers in the interior design business, so I need a way of thickening up some normal wax, but I also need to minimise shinkage as it dries,

It needs to set to a durable finish and to take a finish on top. I've got a vague idea that this wax may have contained shellac, but I might be wrong. It's more like a wood filter which you could apply straight from the tin and hides cracks in carved wood. Has anyone got any ideas please!

Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Thick repair wax

Post by JFeig »

They still use shellac sticks in the furniture repair shops. Attached is a sample page.

amazon.com/Mohawk-Quick-Fill-Burn-Stick/dp/B00BOU6S9W/ref=asc_df_B00BOU6S9W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647205203757&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6202099535616641528&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016831&hvtargid=pla-1959600279092&th=1
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Jerome,

Yes I know this, but I really wanted something with a longer open time to enable me to shape befoe it sets.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

As a hardener you can include STEARIC ACID POWDER.
Jerome Feig CPF®
Not your average framer

Thanks Jerome,

That's quite interesting. Stearite powder used to be used in electrical insulators. It's a bit like powdered ceramic, maybe I could make some by grinding up something!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

It is used by candle makers to harden the candles. You can also add carnauba wax which is harder and has a higher melting temperature.
Jerome Feig CPF®
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

If you could name the stuff you used to buy it might be fairly easy to find the equivalent today - you couldn’t have been the only person to use it!
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I remember Simons doing wax filler sticks in tins. I used to melt it on with a soldering iron.
They did wood shades and also metallics.

I found this on Amazon....

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

I haven't bought any for years. I got an old tin, but the label has peeled off, i think it was imported from another country. It was great becase you could mix the colours. it was not made for the framing trade.it was really cheap. I'm pretty sure that it is not made anymore, I was already expecting to have formulate my own.

My bandsaw make some very fine sawdust so I've been thinking about mixing some of the saw dust with black bison wax. I'm not really sure how long lasting and durable it may, or may not be. Getting the right proportions, mix sawdust and wax is very difficult to decide.

I would prefer a known and proven pruduct, rather than relying on guesswork.

Thanks guys.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer