underpinner identification help, please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
NKP1962
Organisation: NKP Services
Interests: upcycling, rummaging, sport, music

underpinner identification help, please

Post by NKP1962 »

Just aquired this underpinner, and was wondering if any of you good people would be able to identify it, thanks, as i need a manual and parts list for it to overhaul it!.
Attachments
20231217_141751 (1).jpg
20231217_141758 (1).jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: underpinner identification help, please

Post by Not your average framer »

The foot pedal is the clue here. If I am not mistaken, that is a Thorpe international underpinner. They were sold through Origin Framing Supplies who were based in Croyden. It's a very long time ago, but I remember seeing one being demostrated at the Spring Fair during the 1990's. This was a very long time before I had even begun to be a framer at all.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

The head mechanism looks very like the old Euro range, so I suspect it's a derivative of one of those.
I do have some experience of them and they are basic but tough machines so I may be able to help with
any probs. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
NTG999
Organisation: Avenues Picture Framing
Interests: Classic cars

Post by NTG999 »

This does look similar to my old machine that I need to sell, the images might be helpful
Attachments
PXL_20230902_081825209.jpg
PXL_20230902_081829808.jpg
NKP1962

Post by NKP1962 »

NTG999 wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 7:17 am This does look similar to my old machine that I need to sell, the images might be helpful
That looks identical - just need the manual(s) now to see how it works, and how to overhaul it. Many thanks
Attachments
20231217_141841 (1).jpg
prospero

Post by prospero »

A major shortcoming with these machines is the top pressure pad. It can dent certain mouldings. On my Euro
model I made a triangle from ½" thick wood and faced it with cork (polyurethane is better if you can get a bit).
This is to spread the load and is placed over the corner when joining.
To set the pressure you wind the pad up and press the pedal until the pad arm reaches a point where it stops going down.
Then, hold it at this point and screw down the pad onto the moulding until it is firmly seated on the moulding. Now if you
press all the way down a v-nail will be inserted. It's important to keep the v-nail feed chute clear of debris and accumulated
glue, particularly where the v-nails mate against the end. If the hammer runs smoothly when you press the pedal then the only
lubrication you need is maybe a squirt of WD-40 in the hammer channel. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
NKP1962

Post by NKP1962 »

prospero wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 11:26 am A major shortcoming with these machines is the top pressure pad. It can dent certain mouldings. On my Euro
model I made a triangle from ½" thick wood and faced it with cork (polyurethane is better if you can get a bit).
This is to spread the load and is placed over the corner when joining.
To set the pressure you wind the pad up and press the pedal until the pad arm reaches a point where it stops going down.
Then, hold it at this point and screw down the pad onto the moulding until it is firmly seated on the moulding. Now if you
press all the way down a v-nail will be inserted. It's important to keep the v-nail feed chute clear of debris and accumulated
glue, particularly where the v-nails mate against the end. If the hammer runs smoothly when you press the pedal then the only
lubrication you need is maybe a squirt of WD-40 in the hammer channel. :D
Thanks for the input - I was going to fabricate a pad of some sort for the top pressure pad, and I'm going to strip it down to clean everything & lubricate it
NKP1962

Post by NKP1962 »

Thanks to everyone for their help - I've been advised by Charnwood that it is an SF Strapit and about 35 years old. It works, but will need some cleaning, etc. but seems in good condition - better than I looked at 35 :D