Strut backs

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Strut backs

Post by JKX »

I bought a new phone case yesterday. There’s a slide on the back that can be folded out to hold it with and then it clicks out to make a stand.

Looks a bit top heavy portrait but I can tap and swipe without holding it at all, it needs a fair push to tip it over.

Does the framing world need this?

(BTW - i bought this because we’re pretty sure my old black leather one was giving me contact dermatitis!)
Attachments
IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0764.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg
IMG_0757.jpeg
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Strut backs

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi John'

You ask does the framing need a decent strutback? I hope our suppliers are listening. I would say yes we do.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JKX
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

More “would this work as one”?

I didn’t really have a problem, I had a company make me a whole load in different standard sizes from A3 down, the bar and clip type - all 3 mm MDF, two lengths of legs with clip attached and two bars per back for either orientation. I could trim down both backs and legs if needed and a couple of times I’d have to stick them to slightly larger boards, larger in one direction anyway, then make flush.

Storage and packaging was a bit of an issue - of stock and finished frames - all had to be back-back-front-front.

This system folds perfectly flat.

John Turner

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to buy my clip and bar strutbacks from Simons, there was a little bit of play in the rivet holes, presumably due wear on the tooling, but there were more than good enough and made out of a very solid grade of 4mm MDF. I want to make my own, but it's not that easy. I also am not that keen on cutting up MDF on my table saw, or my sliding mitre saw, because of the health hazard with MDF dust. It will probably have to be plywood instead, so I guess not very cheap!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

We’re always on the look out for a good quality stand up back! Would you mind divulging where you used to buy yours from John?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
JKX

Post by JKX »

Border frames in Lockerbie, but they closed down a good few years ago. I thought lion did the bars and clips but can’t find them on their website.
John Turner