Retierment Framing biz

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Sinerva10
Organisation: Mike R
Interests: Retierment

Retierment Framing biz

Post by Sinerva10 »

Hi all, i would like help advice etc currently i have 2 year until i retire and cant waite. I wish to hobby frame at home and see where it takes me. Should i buy new machinary or second hand ? I have found a number of moulding supplies online nut i would like to find a few wholesalers who supply signed printed artwork. Is this a wholesale thing or do i have to approach artist individually. All help appreciated and received, and a metaphorical beer on they way to eqch who reply :D :giggle: :giggle:
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Re: Retierment Framing biz

Post by fitz »

Hello. I retired some years ago and have dabbled in a few bits and pieces over the past few years. As an artist I started out framing my own work and from 2019 have operated a home based framing business. Initially I advertised in a local freely distributed magazine that went into every home in the surrounding villages and I got a lot of work through that much of which was from local artists. I have now had to stop advertising as I cannot cope with the workload. You will find that if you do a good job and treat people well they will keep coming back and will recommended you to others. This snowball effect has resulted in me having now hundreds of customers most of whom I am on first name terms with. I’m not sure you will need to purchase your own prints for framing and selling as once you get going you may not have time for that. Best of luck anyway on your venture and there are a good number of very helpful and generous experienced people on this forum who will give of their time and talents to assist with any queries you may have.
fitz
Organisation: Latch Burn Framing
Interests: Picture Framing. Watercolour painting, dog walking, fly fishing.

Post by fitz »

On the issue of equipment and machinery I bought a second hand Morso from Wessex, a Cassese C One Cartridge Underpinner, a Keencut Ultimat Futura Mountcutter and a small roller type laminator. I mainly shop for supplies from Centrado and Lion but also from a few others from time to time. Mainline Mouldings do a great job keeping my Morso blades in tip top condition.
Sinerva10
Organisation: Mike R
Interests: Retierment

Post by Sinerva10 »

Thank you for your advice, given me so much confidence.