Fabric work top cover

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Hutchcox
Organisation: Almost Frameless
Interests: Business, Bicycles and Bouldering

Fabric work top cover

Post by Hutchcox »

Good morning,

Just building a new workbench and need some sort of soft fabric cover, just curious what people are using.

In the past I've gone to large fabric sellers and asked for their damaged felt rolls. Had no such luck this morning.

Cheers,
Zac
Organisation: Self employed
Interests: Art, lit, film, good food, good drink, good gravy! Currently a freelance web developer, transitioning to a freelance framer

Re: Fabric work top cover

Post by Zac »

The one I learned on was just covered in brown kraft paper, but the one I inherited was covered with short-pile carpet, which I've since replaced with something similar from a carpet shop up the road who sell off their end of roll stock cheap. I have to vacuum it every day but seems to do the job.
Zac
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

If you are performing dis-assembly as well as assembly on the same table, I would not be in favor of any fabric covering, even carpet. A smooth surface is definitely easier to clean than a surface with pits and valleys.

There is just to big a chance of getting bits from the dis-assembly process imbedded into the surface that will be missed with a vacuum. EX: broken off staple parts, tacks, nails, and chards of glass. These can be very small and not noticeable upon casual inspection when they are imbedded into the pile.

Many years ago I took several scraps of construction 2x4's about 25-30 cm long, and covered them with a layer of foam padding and covered it with some scrap velvet fabric. The fabric was stapled to the sides of the timber. These pads were then placed under the corners of the frame to protect the corners which was specifically useful when the corners had raised decorations as in 18th and 19 century frames.

In this way you have the best of both worlds. In todays world of specialized coated glass, even a microscopic bit can ruin your day.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
JKX
Organisation: None - retired
Interests: Gardening. Walking. DIY. Retired framer of 20 plus years, keeping my hand in.

Post by JKX »

I prefer something you can cut on, you can wipe clean and is disposable/sacrificial. Lino was good but eventually got wrecked and I ended up using grey board covered in gkass interleaving paper. The paper was changed at least once a day and the board maybe once a week, it had come from being used as a CMC slip mat so did get a fair bit of use before being tossed in to recycling.

We had a couple of large bits of fabric "throws" for more delicate work, linen and calico for needlework and an old bedspread for most else. The glass cleaning/fitting surface was painted black and covered in staggered lines of domed plastic bumpers.
John Turner

The ex framer Formerly Known As RoboFramer.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I use flotex flooring.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have two benches. A mucky bench and a clean bench.

The mucky one has the sheet of MDF on which gets replaced when it gets too mucky. I use this bench for making
and hand-finishing frames. I have roll of 'conservatory' carpet (£3 of LDL) which I put over when I want something
a bit softer.

My other bench is two plan chests back-back. These are covered with Flotex carpet. This stuff is the best I have found
for the purpose. It doesn't shed hairs and is easy to sweep bits off. It also does harbour particles. It's quite expensive but
worth it. * I got a big roll-end from an online remnant company for half-price. :D It's woodgrain pattern.

I also have a drawing board with an A0 cutting mat on for mount cutting and suchlike.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I also have 2 benches.

One is plywood covered with grey framers board - I then put 2 or 3 coats of Polyvine matt varnish over it, hoping it would last a few months. It's been on there for at least a couple of years now, and it is still good.

The other one is covered in CUT PILE carpet tiles (not the looped ones they trap all the sharp bits ready to scratch the next frame) which I use for glass cleaning and assembly.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/