Hello! Looking for some workshop layout advice.

Say hello, and tell us a little about yourself.
vixSA
Organisation: TBC
Interests: Reading, crafting, photography, cooking

Hello! Looking for some workshop layout advice.

Post by vixSA »

Hi :-)
I'm from South Africa and I'm currently setting up a framing business in my home to compliment my husband's art repro and printing company. I'll be learning from scratch, so wish me luck!!

I was wondering if anyone can make recommendations about how much work bench space I'll need. I know I'll need space for a jumbo mat cutter as well as open work area for doing everything else. Would a 2m x 2.5m work table be enough?

I have a room of about 5.5m x 3.5m for my workshop, which is not huge, but hopefully will be enough space as it's only me.

Any advice gratefully received.
Vickie
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Hello! Looking for some workshop layout advice.

Post by JFeig »

Are you cutting and assembling frames in the same room? What is the maximum size of the art you want to frame?

If you are purchasing preassemble frames, you can get away with less room than if you are making frames as this task can contaminate your frame fitting area.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
vixSA

Post by vixSA »

Should also mention that my initial idea is to have the work table as an island coming out from one wall with my equipment around the edges of the room. Mat cutter on one end of the table (closest to the wall) and empty work space on the other end of the table. Table on wheels so it can be moved around if necessary. Possibly 2 tables pushed together rather than 1 big one to allow for more flexibility,
vixSA

Post by vixSA »

JFeig wrote: Mon 29 Apr, 2024 11:49 am Are you cutting and assembling frames in the same room? What is the maximum size of the art you want to frame?

If you are purchasing preassemble frames, you can get away with less room than if you are making frames as this task can contaminate your frame fitting area.
I'll be making my own frames in the same room.

Max size would probably be 1 x 2m as that's the biggest print my husband can easily manage, but I don't imagine that will be a frequent occurrence.
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

My tables and those of many others were limited to 1.2 x 2.4m (48x96) sheet stock. Then you also have to consider all the storage room you need in that room. Racks for board and glass, tools and other equipment, finished products, etc. My "clean area" of my current home shop is about the size you have.

If you are using a saw to cut moulding to make your frames I do not think a single room is the way to go. Dust is your enemy when fitting.
Jerome Feig CPF®
vixSA

Post by vixSA »

JFeig wrote: Mon 29 Apr, 2024 12:49 pm My tables and those of many others were limited to 1.2 x 2.4m (48x96) sheet stock. Then you also have to consider all the storage room you need in that room. Racks for board and glass, tools and other equipment, finished products, etc. My "clean area" of my current home shop is about the size you have.

If you are using a saw to cut moulding to make your frames I do not think a single room is the way to go. Dust is your enemy when fitting.
I'll be getting a Morso guillotine, so won't be using a saw, but good point about the dust. I'm planning to get my work tables custom made with plenty of shelf space underneath them for storage. Also have plans for racks and shelves on the walls for more storage.
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

You might want to visit several frame shops in your area to look at their setups.

A rolling tool cart or two might be a good idea. You can get a "mechanics" rolling tool cart and modify it to your needs. https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 70698.html
Jerome Feig CPF®
prospero

Post by prospero »

Two plan chests back-to-back topped with 19mm chipboard faced with Flotex carpet. Idea for final assembly.
I have a similar one for the mount cutter and an A0 drawing board with a cutting mat on it.
In another room I have a 6'X4' peninsular bench for frame building/finishing.
IMG_20231004_111635.jpg
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

Rolling station for tools/sundries/tape dispenser. :D
workstation001.jpg
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

As important as the size is the height of your work table. I'm 5'11" and I made mine 100cms high, which is a comfortable height to stand at for me. As JFeig said, mine is also made from a sheet of 8'x4'/1.2mx2.4m . That jumbo mount cutter is going to take up a lot of space!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

In a workshop that size I would definitely invest in a wall mounted cutter if you can afford it. I also work in a small space and this makes a huge difference to me. It also eliminates a large area of risk in not having to lift large sheets of glass onto a bench to cut.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

It's also worth considering, will you need a customer space for presenting samples, creating designs etc. From a customer service as well as health and safety point of view, it is good to limit the space that customers have access to. By setting up a dedicated space near a door, with a table, samples on the wall and mountboard and glass samples close at hand you can create a small safe space away from sharp objects and trip hazards! This can also double-up as a usual extra work table space when customers are not booked to come in.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
vixSA

Post by vixSA »

Thanks for all the input :-) Lots to think about!