Well, I've done it now!

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Well, I've done it now!

Post by WelshFramer »

Well, this afternoon I gave my credit card details to Framers Corner and was told to expect the Wizard next week.

It's going to be a busy week-end. I'll have to scrap the PC that does the accounts -- never did see the need for that anyway; put the Keencut Oval 6 in the loft (better not get rid of it just yet); dismantle some shelves and get rid of the desks I use for admin-type things (like filing receipts and other boring stuff).

Still, presumably after next week I'll be so busy cutting fancy window mounts I won't have time to do accounts and admin...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Congratulations on the great leap into the techno world.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

...... and welcome to cardboard hell ;)

When you get your system number, dont forget to register on the wizard (US) user site, and grab a load of the free stuff, designs, cut art, manuals and specially the marketing and merchandising guide. Priceless :D
osgood

Post by osgood »

Mike,
Congratulations on your decision to get a CMC. You will not only get a lot of enjoyment from learning what you can do with it, but it will be a benefit to your business and your customers greatly.

Even though you have chosen the wrong brand :wink: you have taken a positive step forward! :D :D

(From a Gunnar owner!) :wink: :wink:
prospero

Post by prospero »

:)

kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

briliant, Prospero !!! :D :D :D :D
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

maybe that one would make the coffee as well. :idea:
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

prospero wrote:Order a Wizard...
Ah! How sweet! All the way from Cornwall!! :lol:

Congrats on your purchase, Mike! :D New toy!!!!! :D 8)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

I have to say I was impressed by Nigel who gave me a demo of the Wizard on the Framers Corner stand at the Spring Fair. They also had the best marketing and information pack for prospective buyers.

However, after much consideration, helped by the input on this forum we went for the Valiani. We ordered it following the Spring Fair after a cooling off period to check we had the space and so as to not rush in "where fools etc".

The Gunnar was also a very serious consideration and having experience of using one I would recommend it, but for us the Valiani won the day.

I'd also like to thank the JGFs who attended the Convention at the Allesley and Wing Wahs for their considered comments too.

Good luck with your Wizard.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

I'd be very curious to know what features you rated that swung it for the Valiani?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
birdman

Post by birdman »

Hi Áine,

I guess it was a combination of things. Having done our research and looked at the Wizard, Gunnar and Valiani there is not a lot of obvious difference except for price and probably support.

My wife liked the ease of use for the Valiani's software and felt she could get along with that much easier. She quite liked Luca too! :lol:

I quite like the Gunnar and am used to it's software but Dawn thought it was complicated.

I like the changeable heads and the fact that it will cut 90 degree, ie square edges, without me having to do it on the wall cutter. We currently mount prints and wrap them for a small local print publisher and they like square edges not bevels, but it adds to the work and time is money.

Valiani gave us multi demonstrations of its capabilities and we watched it cut apertures and v-grooves, embossing, designs, single mounts, double mounts and triple mounts (all ready assembled). The Valiani staff were delighted to demonstrate what we wanted to see and more besides.

Finally, we have a very good relationship with Simon's and they look after us. Good service, both for machinery and mouldings, a good local rep and big Joe went out of his way to help us reach a deal.

It's been said before on this forum that everyone has their own personal favourites regarding CMCs. We have taken onboard everything that has been said and published and hopefully made the right decision for us. It may not be the right one for you but if you are considering purchasing a CMC who is going to give you the best service based on your location. It's no good having a great machine if you can't get support and that can also include help from other framers in the area.

It's funny back in June 2007 I posted a question about the "new" Fletcher CMC, which is the Valiani. I think I've finally gone full circle. :!:

I hope that helps :?:

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

birdman wrote: My wife liked the ease of use for the Valiani's software and felt she could get along with that much easier. She quite liked Luca too! :lol:
Dawn and I are singing from the same hymn sheet. I liked Luca too. Oh... and the software wasn't bad.

When you getting yours Rolf? We've not heard yet, but the bank and I are in active negotiations. All I need now is an electrician to put in some extra sockets.
birdman

Post by birdman »

Hi Mary,

You said: "When you getting yours Rolf?"

I got mine yesterday when I failed to deliver a Valentines card or anything else come to that. I told her the Valiani was her present and she could design and cut her own card. I'm still limping ..... :lol:

I'm waiting for a delivery date but have been told 6 weeks at the outside but hopefully sooner. They should be confirming early next week. We have a major move around to fit it in where our customers can see it but where it isn't in our way. Once it is sited I then have to build some extra storage around it. The Morso is going on a trip as well to a new location. And of course where the Morso is going everything there has to be moved, etc, etc, blah, blah .....

Luckily there are sockets close by but I have an electrician coming in to check out our supply because I originally did it all myself. Sam (my daughter) says if you turn the lights off the sockets go off but I think she is exaggerating.

Luckily my savings should cover the cost but I'm paying over 6 months interest free.
Rolf Lawson GCF
My status
Grahame Case

Did you get it?

Post by Grahame Case »

So Mike,

did it arrive?

if so, have you had a chance to play with your baby yet? & are you glad you bought it?
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Yes, it's here.

It took a couple of days to set it up and reorganise the workshop and I've not plugged it in yet.

Sam from Framers Corner is coming tomorrow to commission it and give me some training.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status