Keencut Help

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Darren

Keencut Help

Post by Darren »

Hi
I've just purchased a second hand Keencut laser 1200 mountcutter my question is does the mountcard go face down on the board or face up when cutting Bevels and alike
If anyone could help me with an idiot guide or a book or some other guide on how to use this properly it would be very much apprieciated I have tried keencut but they no longer make the machine

Thanks all in advance
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Keencut

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Darren,

A good robust machine you have bought, just make sure its clean, well lubricated, and it will give you excellent bevels and mounts.

Mounts are cut face down, so that the bevels are in the correct plain.

If you ring Keencut and ask for Andy or Alex, they may have a manual, their number is 01536 263158. I am not sure if you could download this from their site at http://www.keencut.co.uk

Hope this helps?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
Lyn

Re: Keencut Help

Post by Lyn »

Darren wrote:Hi
I've just purchased a second hand Keencut laser 1200 mountcutter my question is does the mountcard go face down on the board or face up when cutting Bevels and alike
If anyone could help me with an idiot guide or a book or some other guide on how to use this properly it would be very much apprieciated I have tried keencut but they no longer make the machine

Thanks all in advance
Hi Darren

As with most manual mountcutting machines, you always work with the board face down when cutting the bevel. However, when you are squaring your board initially, work with it face up to ensure that it doesn't get dirty. Also, don't forget to use another piece of board (called a slip sheet) beneath the mountboard when you are cutting the bevel. This ensures that you get a good crisp cut with no fuzzy edges. You do not need a slip sheet for squaring board to size. Hope this helps.

Lyn
The Mad Mountcutter
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

We have used Keencut products for the last 20 years and have always found the staff to be very helpful. One of the very few companies in my experience who actually DO call you back if there is nobody available at the time to deal with your query.

Hi Lyn, welcome to the forum.
Keencut Ltd

Keencut Help

Post by Keencut Ltd »

Darren,

Sorry to be so late getting to the forum (there's a joke there somewhere!), as you have probably found out Keencut stop manufacturing spares 10 years after a machine goes out of production. The Laser has not been made for 13 years or so now. However, we do still have instruction manuals, bearings, knobs, screws, springs most of which are free of charge.

If we can be any help please ring on 01536 263158 or email on info@keencut.co.uk

And thankyou to the rest of you for your kind comments.

All the best

(KEENCUT)
Andy Roberts
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the information.

Could I suggest making this manual available as a downloadable pdf file from your website, if it is not already there.

A few months ago, being able to download the pdf manual for your oval cutter proved to be a real godsend.
Keencut Ltd

On-line manuals

Post by Keencut Ltd »

John,

Unfortunately the manuals we have for most of the very old machines are not good enough quality to scan and we do not have them in electronic format. The other thing is that we try and keep our website straight forward and if we to add manuals for all the obsolete machines as well as the current ones it could start to get a little cluttered.

I do take your point that it would be very convenient and I will look into the possibilities. We are in the process of completely re-designing our website so once that is finished in a few weeks time we can look at this as part of 'Stage 2'.

Regards
Andy Roberts
markw

Post by markw »

Andy
Framers knowledge base would be a good place to post information on equipment. The advantage of an editable database is that users of older machine can add comments and tips.
More So

Post by More So »

Andy,

I do not often use my Keencut oval mountcutter, but when I do there is one thing that irks me: Why are the measuring rulers on the table not 1:2 scale? It would make it so much easier to centre the blank prior to cutting.

Any chance of Keencut making sets of 1:2 scale rulers available for retro-fitting? I would be more than happy to pay for such an item.

Morso uses the same principal (but in reverse) when they incorporate a 2:1 scale to allow the framer to set double the moulding width without requiring him to remember his 'Two Times' tables.

In a way, Keencut is flattering the framer, obviously confident that most framers will find that division by two to be a trivial affair. However please note that, in the case of this framer at least, that confidence is totally unfounded. :)

(Sorry, John, should this have been a new topic?)
You will never get the last word on a belligerent buffoon
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Seems like a good idea to me, More So. A perfect solution for the permanently bewildered, such as myself. :)

I could certainly use a set of those scales. Any chance, Andy?