glass

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
meresidemono

glass

Post by meresidemono »

hi everybody im new here so go gentle. i am looking for for a supplier of 2mm glass but dont know where to get it from. i am on the east coast,hornsea to be exact.the nearest city is hull can somebody point me in the right direction please,thanks wayne.
zanart

Post by zanart »

KC Glass in Birmingham could help.
meresidemono

Post by meresidemono »

thanks very much i will ring them tomorrow
avantime

Post by avantime »

Solid Glass have a depot not too far from you.

Ask for Steve!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Hi there, and welcome to the Forum!

I had a quick scoot around your website, and enjoyed the images there. I especially liked "Trees in Lith"!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

avantime wrote:Solid Glass have a depot not too far from you.
I use Solid Glass and the quality is the spot on. Whoever you use ask where the stuff comes from.

I always try and avoid buying Chinese glass, it's awful stuff. Very hard to clean and often very wasteful due the poor quality. It ain't cheap if it takes forever to clean it, or if you can't use some bits due to defects.
meresidemono

Post by meresidemono »

thanks for everybody who replied i am most greatfull its nice that people want to help new framers .i have been reading everything i can on the forum its a fantastic place . moglet thanks for looking at my site i have so many pictures to put on its having the time to do everything. the trees in lith are unusual because i have no idea what paper it is but it liths very well and has a nice tone.i was given a box of various papers but that paper had no name on the box thanks once again ,wayne
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

I'd reccommend Solid Glass too. Good price , good quality and good service :D
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

welcome meresidemono.

what bike you got?

ive got a F2 Ninja, im trying to kid myself im still too young for a tourer.

yeah, nice site, too

kev

re NYAF's comment on chinese glass - we had chinese glass about twelve years ago which was exceptional quality then, and cheap, apparently from a chinese pilkington plant. Strangely, about the same time, hungard glass seemed a bit below par. Shows how things change, and you have to keep your eye on the ball.
meresidemono

Post by meresidemono »

hi kev,i dont have a bike anymore,i had a gsxr1100 and i was racing a cbr 600 and a full blown hondars125 at international level for a long time.remortgageing the house to keep at it till i finally gave in and retired .trouble is the moment i get on another and i will want to start again so i have kept away from them.thanks about the site, photography was my second passion which has now become an obsession just like the racing and the framing is the next step to having a gallery .all the best ,wayne
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

yeah, the things are addictive wayne - thats why bikers are the only people who know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows ;)
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

I had a mate called Billy Harris once upon a lifetime (brilliant entertainer!). One 'morning after the night before' I had the privilege of driving him from Limerick city out to Bunratty to collect his bike, lid on, and head out the window! That was in the days when this country was a place that made you glad to be alive, not a place where slitting your throat is starting to look more and more like an attractive option.... :?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
kev@frames

Post by kev@frames »

Moglet wrote:.....That was in the days when this country was a place that made you glad to be alive, not a place where slitting your throat is starting to look more and more like an attractive option.... :?
I didn't know you'd moved to the UK Moglet ;)
meresidemono

Post by meresidemono »

hi guys to everyone who advised me to try solidglass thanks very much indeed.i spoke to sarah today from solidglass and they deliver wed and fridays in my area. she was very helpfull . she also asked me to thank you as well :D all the best ,wayne.
ps im sure i will have lots to ask as i get started so speak to you soon. :D
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

kev@frames wrote:I didn't know you'd moved to the UK Moglet ;)
It's a "creeping malaise" Kev... :cry: :wink:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
avantime

Post by avantime »

meresidemono wrote:hi guys to everyone who advised me to try solidglass thanks very much indeed.i spoke to sarah today from solidglass and they deliver wed and fridays in my area. she was very helpfull . she also asked me to thank you as well :D all the best ,wayne.
ps im sure i will have lots to ask as i get started so speak to you soon. :D
That's great and means I get my £10,000 for introducing a new customer!!
djhowes

Glass suppliers.

Post by djhowes »

Hi. I thought I would share my experience of a well known glass supplier with you. We are newly formed framing operation and at present are limited for space, therefore we decided to buy in our glass ready cut to size. An experienced framer who has been helping us advised us to try a national company called "Glass and Mirror". So two weeks ago having looked at their web site I placed an order for four large pieces on glass. I was told there would be a delivery charge of £15-00 as the order was under £50-00, but this was stated on their web site anyway. The order was placed on a Monday and they said it would be delivered Wednesday or Thursday. By the following Tuesday there was no glass, so rang to enquire why. They said they had no record of the order and could I place it again. I then gave them the sizes of glass again by email so they a written record. A few minutes later they telephoned to say they could not deliver unless the order was over £50-00 as I was located right on the edge of their delivery area. I pointed out I was willing to pay the £15.00 delivery charge but they refused the order. What really winds me up is not them refusing the order, but the delay caused by accepting the order initially if they were never going to deliver it. I copied this next statement from their website profile "Twenty years on, Glass and Mirror's commitment to providing an unequalled service for the independent framer remains unchanged".
Commitment...What commitment?
markw

Post by markw »

Im not bashing hobby framers here - but! you have to take into account that glass and mirror have to make a profit on increasingly small margins - supplying four sheets of glass just doesnt make you a trade customer. Go to a local glazier who will supply the glass at about the same price if you take into account the £15 delivery charge.

Glass & Mirror are a very good business - they really do make a real effort to give a great service ( that will be a bit more discount- thank you).
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

I must also defend G&M we have had excellent service for many years.

Recently we had a piece of laminated large AR glass delivered it cost us about £1,200. (Yes that’s right) it sat in the workshop unopened for about five days. When we unwrapped it to make the frame it was cracked.

When I phoned them I expected to be told that I should have checked it on delivery, too late now type of thing. They were instead very apologetic and replaced it free of charge two days later. Service doesn’t get better than that. :!:

And yes we do now check carefully, don’t want that feeling again
Ian
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

We have had G&M supply us for at least twenty years now. Always reliable, obliging and in the Ashworth & Thompson class of supplier.

To make a delivery viable, especially with diesel the price it is, there must be a decent level of order. It's a wonder we all don't get charged carriage, no matter what the order value. Margins are getting trimmed everywhere.

Delivery costs are no joke.
Measure twice - cut once