Wet glass?

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
petercox

Wet glass?

Post by petercox »

Hi folks -
I just took delivery of a load of glass which got pretty wet in transit. It poured rain here today and the load hadn't been properly covered on the truck. The cardboard padding the bottom of the package got soaked and water has wicked about 1/4 of the way up the outside sheets - it's still raining, so I can't open the package up to see if the interior sheets are wet too (package has to be left outside under a tarp until I can bring it in sheet by sheet - 60 sheets of 3x4 foot glass is a bit much to carry without a forklift or a crane!).

My question is this - what specifically is the problem with wet glass? I remember being told some time ago to never accept a load of wet glass as it will degrade in some way. What's the issue? Is there any way to correct for it, or should I just have them send me out a replacement shipment?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Peter
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Re: Wet glass?

Post by foxyframer »

My pet hate. It's a bugger to clean.

Rainwater would seem fairly harmless enough.

Stacked wet inter-leafing or rain between sheets is no fun.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

HI Peter,

Don't let the water dry out onto the glass - It leaves marks which are very hard to remove. It can also stick the sheets of glass together in such a way that you will find it very hard to separate them without breakages.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Aw c''mon - this is a no-brainer. 60 sheets? pfffft - all you do is remove each one from the stack, clean and dry it both sides, put it in another stack and then move that stack back to where it should be - all nice and dry and clean.

If yoo're weally weally careful, woo can hangle it wiv gloves after that amd not have to wowwy about fingerpwints.

Or just ring up your supplier and say "Take this load of wet carp back you bunch of ......."
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would not have accepted it wet. Or at least I would have been onto the supplier to say I will accept it - at 50% discount. :P Sheets with water in between may as well be glued togther. Waiting for it to dry naturally will take ages and then you are left with tidemarks to scrub off.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Townsend

Post by Townsend »

I have had problems with wet glass before and I think the wicking of water up into the interleaving paper may have created an acid condition which resulted in etching of the glass in a pattern which mirrors the damp ripples in the paper. I get 120 sheets of 6'x4'sheets at a time. I never had this problem with powder interleaved glass which leads me to think it may be acid etching. Jif, or a similar household cleaner, will remove the marks if they have not burned in too deeply....but who wants to clean glass like that?