OUCH!!!

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Roboframer

OUCH!!!

Post by Roboframer »

I missed a semi rigid tab today, i.e. didn't press it flat before putting the tape over it, then, when I came to press/smooth the tape down, at my usual speed - I gashed my finger. You can see blood to the right of the tab. It's a nasty cut, index finger, about 20mm long. Steri strips are doing OK though.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Re: OUCH!!!

Post by Moglet »

Owwww! :shock:

:kiss: Kiss better!
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just remembered, not a case of not pressing the tabs down 1st time, but a case of removing the backing after sealing once - flumb problems and missing one I'd bent up to remove the board.

The tabs don't stick up that much when fired in.

I've done this before but not this badly
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Roboframer wrote: I've done this before but not this badly
I'm thinking you won't be doing it again for a while.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
markw

Post by markw »

They are amazingly sharp when you encounter one in the wrong place - bit like paper cuts, they really hurt. Did manage to fire a tab into my thumb - that hurt a bit as well.

I had a plague of flies in my workshop last week - I think something died in the very large chimney at the end of the workshop - nasty, but my aim on the flexi tab gun has become quite good - can kill a fly at about a metre. My wife has commented that my behaviour is very childish and that I will hurt someone with a flying (very sharp) flexi tab.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Boys and their toys.... :roll: Manual or air-operated, Mark? ;) ;)

Very sorry to hear about your thumb incident, Mark. Nearest I've come to that was firing a staple into one of my thumbs from a manual gun. That wasn't nice, but would pale into insignificance compared to the pain you must have experienced. :(
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

While the subject is on stapler incidents, I'll share a cautionary tale. I suppose the title should be 'what not to do'.

This is not for the faint-hearted, so if you don't like the gorier stories, i suggest you stop reading now :mrgreen:

When i moved into my current workspace i thought i'd devote some time(in the end about 2 weeks!) to making a seriously proper framing bench on wheels, as space is limited. This thing is a beast - about 110kg unladen, and it currently has about 150kg of tools, mountboard, and sundry stuff in it. Anyway when i finished it the final touch was to stretch a piece of soft cloth over the counter(if you ever need to make a really flat worktop i can recommend 2 sheets of 18mm MDF glued and screwed together). I was crouched down on my haunches stapling this cloth on the underside in time-honoured gallery-wrap style, putting the wide-crown pneumatic stapler on the floor between shots. I grabbed the gun without looking, fumbled it, and it landed in my lap just as i got a hand back on it, sadly hitting the trigger as i did so. The result was that i stapled my jeans to my upper inner left thigh(using a 10mm staple, with both prongs going right in!) I stayed calm, and thought 'this is gonna bleed when i take it out' so prepared as best i could by getting suitable cloth to hand and undoing my trousers before i pulled the staple out. Even so i must have hit an artery, as in the second and a half between getting the thing out and getting a cloth on it, it just gushed vivid red. Stopped bleeding externally surprisingly quickly, but bled a lot under the skin. After a couple of days i had a bruise which went from the wound(about 3" from my groin) all the way to the knee. The wound itself healed pretty quick(only a couple of tiny holes, after all), but did look like i'd been bitten by a snake. I'm just glad that it wasn't 3 inches up and to the right - that could have been REALLY bad... :shock:

I have 5 pneumatic guns - this is the only one without a safety catch.

PS - Mark, i admire your sense of sport with the fly situation, but are you shooting them airborne or stationary? Personally i swear by my trusty badminton racquet - but watch out what direction you're sending fly innards flying in - can play havoc with delicate surfaces, eg artwork; mountboard etc

Any other horror stories out there? Is there a framer out there who really took the end off their finger on a Morso? Every framer i ever met knew someone who had done it but i never actually met the framer who did...
markw

Post by markw »

Flys always stationary - well out of the range of artwork. I am now going to get counselling having read your "horror story".
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

One moments lack of attention, taking silly short-cuts or being just plain careless - 4 hours waiting in A&E; no joke. Our workshops are no place for the unwary: Morso's, four foot guillotines, knives, guns and blades - never take your own safety for granted.

I,ve had the usual glass cuts and run in with blades, but thankfully not with the big stuff. Doesn't bare thinking about.

Fly-paper up in the workshop, hangin' off a fluorecent tube. Amazin' how the big buzzy ones fly round the bloody thing. Plastic swatter on stand-by.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
summer-data

Post by summer-data »

Fly-paper up in the workshop, hangin' off a fluorecent tube. Amazin' how the big buzzy ones fly round the bloody thing
I went for the un-planet-friendly fly spray in a desperate bid to rid the shop of a nasty big blue bottle. I chased the thing around for an hour, finally managing to catch it in the spray. Unfortunately i didn't realise that fly spray carries electrically charged particles and fly was right in front of the fire alarm. Bells started ringing and the building had to be evacuated. I should now tell you that our shop is in an upstairs shopping mall which also incorporates a cafe, hairdressers and several other shops. As you can imagine i wasn't too quick to go over and tell the evacuated little old ladies with perm rollers in whose fault it was they were stood outside :oops: oops
mlondon
Organisation: Mobile Framers, Chesham
Interests: Picture framing;), Playing football, reading.... QPR!!!!!

Post by mlondon »

I'm happy to say i've never had any major stapling or morso injuries, i have however on several occasions lost a few mm's of various fingers due to lack of concentration...... schoolboy error! :Slap: