PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Tech Support
Interests: Forums and stuff

Sign of the times?

Post by John »

In the past twelve years or so, I doubt that we have had more that three or four people walk in off the street to ask for work.

In the last week we have had five job-seekers.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: Sign of the times?

Post by Bill Henry »

Thanks to The Forum, word has gotten out that you are one really nice guy. :yes:

… or, maybe, it's too hot outside and they are looking to get cool? :P

All seriousness aside, we still get the usual strutting, silly teenagers the baseball caps turned backward looking to do something other than flip burgers and smelling like burnt cooking oil. We get a couple a month, but the numbers haven't increased much that I can tell.

A few customers (usually bored housewives) ask about employment, but most of them say something like "This would be a great place to work … I've got a lot of framing to be done!" Yeah, like that's a great incentive for me to hire them. Imbeciles!
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

I once had a 15 year old lad ask if he could do his work experience with me. Unfortunately it was the two weeks I was on holiday.
Apart from that no one as ever asked for work.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

One - last week. Very well constructed and polite letter by post, who at least has had a two day introduction course by a GCF examiner. He will receive a reply.

Unlike most we get who couldn't spell or construct a sentence to save their lives, along with some rather poor CV's.

We also get the bored housewife Bill - who think it's some kind of Shangri la.

Similar number are walk ins, on the off chance. Did that once myself.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We have always had a regular stream of people walking in/writing in and phoning in asking for work.

It always seems that when we have no vacancies we get someone call in who would be ideal, but once we have a vacancy we have a stream of unsuitable candidates ( that was polite wasn't it!)

As we have a university with a large art department we also get loads of students ( several a day when the Uni is open) trying to sell their work at totally unrealistic prices. I wish that the Uni would give their students an idea as to how to make a living from their art instead of just expressing their artistic talent (or lack of)

I don't mind really as they do give us quite a bit of framing throughout the year.

RobinC
tosh0479
Organisation: Elgin
Interests: Framing
Fly Fishing
Football

Post by tosh0479 »

On the subject of work I have recently left the Army after 25 years and done four days worth of framing courses including basic mount cutting, Basics of Framing, 3 D Framing and Framing textiles with DIY Framing from Beaconsfield.

I will also complete the framing sposts shirt course in October all at my own expense, I want to do a job that I enjoy!!

I have settled in Elgin in Moray, Scotland and am wondering if anyone knows of anyone in my area who is looking for a beginner to work with them.

Tosh McIntosh