Blackboard paint

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Blackboard paint

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't know if all blackboard paint is the same, but I'm having a bit of an enforced clearing out session and found what's left of an old tin of blackboard paint.

I've never tried it on frames before, but it turns out to be quite useful stuff for hand finishing!

The tin which I've got turns out to be an oil based paint, so it won't raise the grain on those inexpensive pine mouldings. It's fairly quick drying, a good durable finish, not expensive to buy and very economical in use.

It's not quite jet black, but more like a very dark charcoal grey, which is still o.k. It's easily darkened by finishing off with an application of black patinating wax.

Does anyone else use it, or have any comments?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Blackboard paint

Post by prospero »

I just spent 20mins typing a very interesting and enormously entertaining story about matt black paint but when I tried to submit it, apparently this topic does not exist. :? Has it gone down a (matt) black hole?

....It's come back. :) I wonder if there is a time limit on posts? :?

Anyhow... I can't be bovvered to type it all out again. But it was a great story. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

If you want "dead flat" black paint go to a theatrical supply shop. It comes come in acrylic bases to replace the old versions, casein based.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:I just spent 20mins typing a very interesting and enormously entertaining story about matt black paint but when I tried to submit it, apparently this topic does not exist. :? .... I can't be bovvered to type it all out again.
I've had similar, but when submitting have been told I need to be logged on to submit a post - and I was logged on when I started tiepin.

Maybe an idea to highlight and copy before submiiting a post, especially a lengthy one.

On Blackboard paint - you can still get it, you're just not allowed to call it that anymore - not sure what they call it now though. Chalkboard paint?
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

At my daughters school the teachers use ‘interactive smart boards’ connected to their laptops. Not a chalkboard in sight!
Next parents evening I must ask her teacher what they throw at the children now they don’t have any chalk.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

The blackboard rubber was weapon of choice at one school, or a pinged piece of chalk.

Never get away with that now - health an' safety issue malarkey.

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

The Jolly Good Framer #1 wrote:I must ask her teacher what they throw at the children now they don’t have any chalk.
In Hackney the teachers are not allowed to throw anything at the kids - in case they injure their shoulder. They've all been issued with Tazers anyway - a better way for dealing with knife-wielding sociopathic hormone-soaked neer-do-wells(and that's just the headmaster)
avantime

Post by avantime »

I have just used some chalk board paint for some prints for Center Parcs! The prints were laminated and stuck onto 18mm MDF - before the images were stuck we painted the edges with two coats of paint. As it's water based it dries in half an hour!! Also used the paint on the batton frame on the back to make the picture "float" off the wall. Looks great - though NOT reversible!!