Vacuum removal of Morso waste.

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Post Reply
Not your average framer
Posts: 11008
Joined: Sat 25 Mar, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Devon, U.K.
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day
Location: Glorious Devon

Vacuum removal of Morso waste.

Post by Not your average framer »

I've just invested in a Earlex Combivac from Argos. It's a wet or dry workshop vacuum cleaner and for those who are interested, the price was £39.99, the catalogue number is 710-2279 and it even claims to be suitable for clearing rubble and broken glass.

The principle intention in buying this was to suck out the waste wood chips from behind the Morso. Having just tried it, I can report that it does the job. From time to time some larger chips will not fit into the hose diameter and there is a bit of a nack to using it without sucking too much into the end of the hose and choking up the nozzle.

I would not particularly recommend it as a better method of removing the Morso waste, as I think the Morso waste chute and a suitable collecting box probably beat everything else, if you've got space for it. Unfortunely my very small workshop means my Morso is against a wall and this is now my prefered and "easier" method of removing the waste chips.

If all else fails, this may be a practical solution for others.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
artfulfox
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon 12 Feb, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: Cambridge
Organisation: Artful Fox
Interests: Music, natural history and extreme ironing ;-)
Location: Cambridge

Re: Vacuum removal of Morso waste.

Post by artfulfox »

Hello - sounds like a good vac - my old "Henry" has lost alot of suction power in his old age, so yours might be worth looking into. Anyway, I too have my Morso against the wall due to workshop space limitations. However, I've found that a posh paper bag (I pinched an Austin Reed bag from my dad) fits perfectly under the chute, and is slim enough to fit snuggly behind the Morso. Posh ones are best because they are made of good quality thick coated paper! Might save you some vacuuming, and gives an excuse for some shopping!

Clare.
Post Reply