Keencut Artist or Gold?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Garnel

Keencut Artist or Gold?

Post by Garnel »

Hi All

I am debating whether to invest in a Keencut Artist or Ultima Gold mountcutter.

I already have a Morso & Cassess 78, but haven't really started doing much framing as the garage is cold and am setting up web site etc. So business a bit slow.

My moudling supplier says to keep away from second hand mount cutters as the bearings move etc.

What does everyone think/ recommend?

Many Thanks

Gary
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hi Gary

Out of the two the ultimat gold is best, but for not much more the Fletcher - Terry is a better machine.
absolute framing
Organisation: Absolute Framing
Interests: Reading the Lion Catalogue

Post by absolute framing »

Hi Gary,

Like you i started off in my garage, and doing the finishing in a spare room (warmer and cleaner)
For cutting mounts i used a logan hand held cutter and a rule (it's great practice). This is grand for low volume and one off mounts.
I upgraded to a Fletcher 2200 after about a year, and only when i got an order for 20 frames with mount, which turned into an order for 60 frames.
This went a long way towards covering my investment in this machinery. Since then i have not looked back, and would not part with it.
To sumise, you need the turnover to justify the capital expenditure, unless you have the spare cash. The good thing is there is always a market to sell it on. Hopefully you wont need to, and will go from strength to strenght.

Hope this is of some help,

Steve
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Gary,

In our training school we use both the Ultimat Gold and the Fletcher-Terry 2200, and then the students make up their own minds, like wisewe use the Casesse 89 and the Morso UP-M underpinners and again let them make up their own minds. Both machines are excellent, both give great quality mounts, although the 200 has a much sturdier base. Its entirely a personal choice.

Like you I first started in a shed, then it got cold, I moved into the house and took over the dining room and a spare bedroom, we only moved onto the high street when a customer took advantage of our good nature and called at 10pm on a Sunday night and didnt leave until gone 2am

We have dealt with a company in Lincoln, who supply second hand and refurb'd machines, BUT will not sell second hand mountcutters, only supplying new, basically for the reasons you have mentioned. The other machines all go out to new framers, looking and working like brand new and gauranteed. PM me for the number if you want?

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

We have been using a Keencut for well over 10 years. It has been excellent,and the customer service has been second to none. A couple of times we have damaged part of the machine and both times a spare part has arrived the next day, free of charge.

Robin
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

Gary.. If you are well off enough to afford a new mountcutter then the keencut gold is an excellent one to choose. I have never bought a new one because I managed or was lucky enough to get a good one second hand.
The first one was a C H and it is still with me and believe me it is of very good quality the next was a keencut again second hand which I sold on because I bought a Valiani free standing mountcutter and a silent compressor and when you see the results you must have this...Its a bit expensive but after 10 years in business I have got the ultimate mountcutter of them all.

If you can afford to heat your workplace then do because this will keep you there longer and keep the materials from getting damp especially mdf and mountboard...regards Norrie
evanstheframe

Post by evanstheframe »

Hi Garnel,
A while ago I posted on the same topic. After reading up all the return posts and Stevens advice (Squareframes) I went for the Ultamat Gold. What a great buy. Makes cutting mounts quick and easy. I was between F/Terry and the Gold. The main factor was room. The squaring arm on the Gold is removable therefore saves on space. A big plus for people working in a small space. In my opinion it was a great buy and a million miles away from the entry level cutter I was using.
Let us all know what you go for.
Garnel

Post by Garnel »

Dear All

Thanks for the advice. I am looking for one on ebay, either a fletcher or Keencut. Theres not much in it as I can see.

Many Thanks

Gary