Need Framing Software Advice!

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
bestframesource

Need Framing Software Advice!

Post by bestframesource »

I would appreciate any opinions on what software I need for my newly started business. (I have both Windows and Linux)
Are there any free programs or spreadsheets? Or do I need to shell out a lot of cash?
I have an accounting program but I have noticed that there are several "All in one" solutions for the framing business. While this is attractive, they seem rather expensive.
Basically I am looking for any neat little applications for the next few months, (like framing calculators) and advice on where to spend my money in the near future to minimize the other headaches.

Thanks!
-Brian
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Need Framing Software Advice!

Post by JFeig »

the attached like will be of interest to you. It lists the assorted picture framers use around the world.

http://www.getthepictureframing.com/gfaq/

Most have demo versions, take a look and then make a decision.

BTY, in other industries a POS system youl be ten fold or more, more pricey.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

If the need is in the UK, your choice - without hesitation - should be EstLite. This product is designed for the UK market and has the proper measurements, taxes, and pricing for the UK. EstLite is the sponsor of this forum, in fact.

In the US market, we have a lot of choices. The top 5 in popularity are: LifeSaver, FrameReady, SpecialtySoft, Fullcalc, EZ-Framer. (ranked in order, per 5 years of user surveys at the grumble forum) The link above has contact info so you can grab the demos and give them a fair evaluation.

This industry really has it made, as far as the cost for these programs. In most other industries, such a program would be 10-15k (US Dollars) initially, and about $1500/year or the maintenance fees and updates. All of the framing systems are a fraction of that, and include automatic weekly price updates that save a LOT of time. The updates alone, make it pay for itself in a matter of months - imo.

If you don't have a POS system, what are you waiting for? GOOD STUFF! :D

Mike Labbe
Get The Picture
Lincoln, RI USA
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Post by Ian Goodman »

Hi Brian

You say you have an Accounting Package?

If so which one?

Why cant you use your accounting package to do the job you want?

Most framing companies will supply csv files of both mouldings and mattboards as well as everthing else that they sell.

if you manually put some items into your accounting package try 6 at least then export this to excell as either a csv file or txt file then add your framing company information this way, you should become familiar with the way the items are structured into excell and then you can import these back into your accounting package.

Invoices, quotes and statements should be able to be handled by your accounting package and if it cannot do these it is time to change.

One thing about accounting packages you do not have to pay an annual fee to be able to use past one year of use as do some of the framing software companies (EstLite excluded) :D

Hope this helps
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

The automatic weekly price updates/changes are the TRUE VALUE of a POS system, in my opinion. That is the single most important feature that saves money, because you don't have to manually do the process and you won't be "leaving money on the table" (under charging, due to working from an old price list)

There are a bunch of advantages. (clean concise paperwork, mailing list management, reports, accuracy, consistent pricing, less price resistance from the customer, easier for new employees to learn, due date scheduling, material ordering/pick lists, lead tracking, promotions/discounts, billing, works as a cash register for art and gift items, auto price updates, etc). A professional POS will do everything a math spreadsheet will do, and so much more.

Jim Miller wrote some great articles about some of these advantages in Picture Framing Magazine, two years ago. They were for the US market, but the same advice should be valid anywhere. One of his articles is at: http://www.getthepictureframing.com/gfaq/Feb06_POS.pdf

Again, for the UK market, ESTLite is the king.

My advice is to try some demos to see which one is right for you and your staff. Each program has a different way to reach the same ultimate goal.

Happy shopping!
Mike
Get The Picture
USA
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here