Hi all,
I had an enquiry from my website last night for some canvasses to be framed with a mount.
Unless I'm missing something, you don't normally put a mount round a canvas or add glass - or am I wrong?
Canvasses I've done to date are simply adhered to foamboard then framed with no glass.
It could be the case that the customer doesn't know whether they need a mount or not, but having not spoken to them yet I wanted to "garner" the correct way in your honest opinions...!
Thanks,
Sean
Canvas Recap
-
Bagel Framer
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:22 am
- Location: Aldershot, Hampshire
- Contact:
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: Canvas Recap
An interesting point and no reason why it could not be done.
However.....
Oils on canvas (or any other substrate) are generally robust enough not to need the protection of glass. They have their own distinctive surface texture which glass tends to obscure. (Even 'Museum' glass). There is also the question of air circulation. Oil paints will 'dry' superficially in a few days. I use the word 'dry', but 'cure' would be a better word. They may be touch 'dry' in a few days, but they continue a chemical reaction with the atmosphere for many years (90+ I have heard tell). So they need to breathe*. For this reason, glass is best avoided.
If the customer likes the mounted look, a better method is to use a wide panel in a relatively narrow frame. I'm doing one at the moment AAMOF. I'll post a pic when I get it finished.
*When I say breathe, I don't mean they perform the process of respiration in a biological sense. Just thought I would clarify this before I get my hair parted by Grumblers.
However.....
Oils on canvas (or any other substrate) are generally robust enough not to need the protection of glass. They have their own distinctive surface texture which glass tends to obscure. (Even 'Museum' glass). There is also the question of air circulation. Oil paints will 'dry' superficially in a few days. I use the word 'dry', but 'cure' would be a better word. They may be touch 'dry' in a few days, but they continue a chemical reaction with the atmosphere for many years (90+ I have heard tell). So they need to breathe*. For this reason, glass is best avoided.
If the customer likes the mounted look, a better method is to use a wide panel in a relatively narrow frame. I'm doing one at the moment AAMOF. I'll post a pic when I get it finished.
*When I say breathe, I don't mean they perform the process of respiration in a biological sense. Just thought I would clarify this before I get my hair parted by Grumblers.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
-
Roboframer
Re: Canvas Recap
Do you never stretch them across battens?Bagel Framer wrote:
Canvasses I've done to date are simply adhered to foamboard then framed with no glass.
Surely if you stick a canvas to board you have to trim the excess canvas off.
Regards glazing oils, once again we are behind the times - a quote from someone on The Grumble - from about two years back.
"....... oil paint may off-gas until dry. One conservator commented that it can off-gas even after it has fully dried.
Glazing a painting helps to slow the rate of drying, which is good for the paint. The filmy residue that accumulates inside the glazing is not harmful. So, when the residue becomes visible, clean the glazing and and refit.
Acrylic is not gas-impermeable. However, in terms of off-gassing and the formation of residue on the glazing, I can't imagine there would be any difference between glass and acrylic. The frame would not be completely sealed, anyway, so transfer of moisture and air would still occur, only slower"
And one from me - cleaning an oil is a skilled task; anyone can clean glass!
-
Bagel Framer
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Fri 08 Jun, 2007 9:22 am
- Location: Aldershot, Hampshire
- Contact:
Re: Canvas Recap
Thanks for the posts guys - I guess another consideration whether a mount or not is added, depends on the surface of the canvas and if it's got any peaks on it or not.
Yes, I do stretch the canvasses.
Sean
Yes, I do stretch the canvasses.
Sean
-
Roboframer
Re: Canvas Recap
Sure - but don't limit yourself to 'a mount' you could have a double mount with a 5mm deep fillet between the mounts, or a bevelled strip, or a spacer in the frame rebate, on top of the mount(s)Bagel Framer wrote:Thanks for the posts guys - I guess another consideration whether a mount or not is added, depends on the surface of the canvas and if it's got any peaks on it or not.
Rebate depth may become an issue though, as you need to make flush the board that the canvas is stuck to as well.
(BTW - thick oil/acrylic paint, where there are 'peaks' is called 'impasto')
-
WelshFramer
- Posts: 996
- Joined: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:03 am
- Location: Llanwrtyd Wells
- Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
- Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?
- Location: Llanwrtyd Wells
- Contact:
Re: Canvas Recap
Here's a method that can be suitable for oils:
http://www.pet-portraitartist.com/frami ... frames.htm
At college I was told it was called an Italian frame - so far as I can remember).
http://www.pet-portraitartist.com/frami ... frames.htm
At college I was told it was called an Italian frame - so far as I can remember).
-
Framer Dave
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 9:03 pm
- Location: Houston TX
Re: Canvas Recap
Do you suppose maybe your customer was confused and was thinking of a fabric wrapped liner?
