GPS on a camera

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

GPS on a camera

Post by Roboframer »

I just saw the latest version of my camera - the Nikon Coolpix - it has GPS and windows vista.

Why?
prospero

Re: GPS on a camera

Post by prospero »

So that peeps will ditch the perfectly good old model and buy the new one.

Next model will have a blood pressure monitor and mp3 player.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

Its called Geo-Tagging. This special feature is for the old forgetful folk who will be able to look at the photos on the computer and then remember where it was with google earth. (Other virtual maps are available!)

Mind you, if its running vista I would expect it to take a photo every couple of minutes in continuous mode.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

No, no, no. The GPS is so that you can program directions to the nearest photo shop and have them printed.

With Vista installed, I would expect several things to happen:

1) The manual for the camera would be written in Albanian by a dyslexic Korean.

2) The camera would find that landscape photos and pictures of your kids would be incompatible on the same flash card. The camera would shut down.

3) In order to restart the camera, you would need to call a toll number in order to reach a fee based tech support guy. The minimum time on hold is guaranteed to be 1° 36’. The tech guy will speak no form of recognizable English.

4) In order to change the flash card, you would have to hop on one leg, open the refrigerator door, stick your index finger in your left ear and sing one verse of “I’m a little teapot, short and stout …” This would seem normal to you.

5) Every twelfth image would be upside down and the colors reversed. This would seem normal, too. This can be fixed by a 14£ download which will charge your credit card £142,698. This discrepancy cannot be resolved.

5) During every quarter moon that occurred on the 21st of the month, your camera would become obsolete. You would be forced to buy the same model except with new security features which will not necessarily work properly. See #3.

7) Under a signed agreement you made, you would be unable to let anyone else other look through the viewfinder.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
prospero

Post by prospero »

Bill. :) It may be my imagination, but do I detect just a hint of cynicism in your reply? :shock:

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
markw

Post by markw »

my new nokia mobile has this function - by the time its found the satellites and established where it is you will have lost the will to take the picture - and the battery will have run down.

To be less cynical - if you are into some of the mapping web sites - Google Earth etc, then geo tagging is quite a step forward in uploading images of locations along with fairly accurate location data. Might be quite good if your looking for an alibi - you can prove exactly where you were, and when.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

markw wrote:Might be quite good if your looking for an alibi - you can prove exactly where you were, and when.
It proves where your phone/camera was. That said, when I'm out stealing art i always make sure a friend of mine is in the pub with my mobile in his pocket - throws the Met right off the scent :wink:
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

they are very handy for accidently taking picture of your right ear and sending them to your mates.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This is the camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0808/08080 ... np6000.asp

mine is the P5100 http://www.photoxels.com/nikon-p5100-review.html and does close ups like this - just don't have the requirement for the other bits - I'd never use 'em!
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

John,

Both my wife and I have Nikons – hers is a 4800, I think; mine, a 70s. They have great optics. It looks like yours takes mighty fine images, too. Good job.

I’m curious, though (and too lazy to look up the Nikon site), can you imprint your GPS location on the image like you can for the time/date stamp?
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'd have to look it up too Bill - but seeing as I've never even used the time/date stamp facility I do have - I'm not likely to!!

When I bought my first digital camera - the coolpix 4100 - the idea was to sell the photos - (and it does sharp A4 copies (about 11.5x8") even though it's only 4mp - maybe larger, I've never tried!) and use the profits to by a digital SLR - probably another Nikon.

Well I did that a few times over and I'm still selling the shots I took with it - like my old avatar below. So I thought 'why bother' - and just went for the latest (at the time) coolpix - which (at the time) out-perfomed a lot of big name SLRs - the P5100 is only the second digital camera I've owned.

I like that I can stuff it in a coat pocket or clip it to a belt - don't want something hanging around my neck.

Close-ups of plants is all I've sold from this camera - the landscapes from the old camera are far more popular, I just haven't done any with this one yet.