Afternoon all,
Artist has just brought in a canvas with digital print and paint, 150cm x 80cm. The art goes right to the edge of the canvas and she doesnt want any of the image hidden so I cannot stretch on bars or use a mount to hold in place. She wants it float mounted, is this feasible? will it be possible to use z hinges, or can anyone suggest another method?
All suggestions welcome,
Leo
Float Mounting a Large Canvas
-
BookFrames
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 5:35 pm
- Location: Roscommon
- prospero
- Posts: 11698
- Joined: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:16 pm
- Location: Lincolnshire
Re: Float Mounting a Large Canvas
I suppose you could hinge it, but canvas being what it is I don't hold out much hope of it staying flat. Maybe PVAing it to a sheet of 5mm foamcore would be preferable. To finish off the edges maybe a small square section of ash cut with the rebate facing up to form a shelf into which the faomcore will drop. This will form a nice minimal edge. Paint the moulding black or whatever. The board might tend to bow one way or the other. To add more strength and stabilty, I would countermount another sheet of foamcore to the back. Once this is done you can add another larger frame around the whole thing according to the customers taste. If you used a deeper section to sit the piece in, you could even hang it as it without an outer frame.
(I'm assuming the painting is not to be glazed)
(I'm assuming the painting is not to be glazed)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1480
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
Re: Float Mounting a Large Canvas
Am I correct in thinking that the artist trimmed the canvas to the finished size? If so, Tell the artist to reprint the image with appropriate margin so it can be stretched. Even if the image is glued to a board in its current condition, their will be a ragged edge. There isn't a border to even wrap around a board as an artist board would have. (preglued canvas to chip/gray board).
Jerome Feig CPF®
-
kev@frames
- Posts: 1951
- Joined: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 12:06 am
- Location: Penzance Cornwall UK
- Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
- Interests: 4 or 5 ...
- Location: West Cornwall, UK
- Contact:
Re: Float Mounting a Large Canvas
its a digital print, it can be replaced. Its lirerally worth the canvas its printed on, which is insufficient for framing. can you ask them to do it again, properly this time with some canvas round the edge?
otherwise your only resort is to PVA it to a rigid sheet.
then find the artist, or the clown that printed it on canvas with zero border, drag them out of their ivory tower, stuff them in a car boot, cover them in super-unleaded and read them their horroscope whilst brandishing a box of swan vestas
Mister tolerant strikes again
otherwise your only resort is to PVA it to a rigid sheet.
then find the artist, or the clown that printed it on canvas with zero border, drag them out of their ivory tower, stuff them in a car boot, cover them in super-unleaded and read them their horroscope whilst brandishing a box of swan vestas
Mister tolerant strikes again
-
BookFrames
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 5:35 pm
- Location: Roscommon
Re: Float Mounting a Large Canvas
The PVA suggestion got me thinking, along with a suggestion from FATG. I got some Archival Wet Mounting Paste from Lion. I used this to paste to a sheet of 5mm conservation foamcore which I then trimmed to the edge of the canvas. This I then stuck to another sheet of foamcore with a 40mm margin and framed in a deep frame with a 15mm spacer. The artist gave me permission to stick it down and was delighted with the float effect.
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Leo
Thanks for all the suggestions,
Leo
