Creating a website

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Creating a website

Post by Roboframer »

It's about time we got ourselves a website. I'm a computer dinosaur, someone will have to come and push the buttons for me.

How much should I expect to pay? - and I suppose that is like saying 'How much is a frame' but I am to computers what the type of person that asks that is to framing!

I've googled 'web design' and got bewildered.

Any recommendations?

We've just sacked yellow pages, they would not leave us alone, trying to get next year's entries upgraded, ringing up practically every day. Just sticking with the free business listing for now.

So we have about £900 a year to play with.
spaner2510

web site

Post by spaner2510 »

Hi John
I run a photographic/framing /web design and hosting company.
I deal with the framing and d&p side of things.Love framing best of all and hope to make it a major part of the company ,as the photo finishing side of things are in decline worldwide.However my partner is a web designer and we host at very good rates.Please send your phone number and I'll
get Rob(the fat one who sits at a p.c all day) doing stuff I don't understand to give you a call.

Kind Regards

Chris
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Website

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

John,

Glad to see that you are doing this....not having a website today, is like not having a sign on your building. It's that important!

I just had a web order from a lady in Scotland. In our conversation she mentioned that she orders stitching designs from the U.S. all the time, and I mentioned your shop. Naturally, I went to GOOGLE you and was only able to give her your address and phone. Hopefully she made contact.

We currently average over 27,000 unique visitors per month to our website. Regardless if they purchase anything online, this is like having an advertisement/Billboard on the M-25 even though you are not that close to London - National exposure! We do get sales btw, and went over 1,000 web orders in 2005.

But just to drive in brick & motar customers is enough to justify a well designed and optimized website. Hopefully Chris will be able to help you, and hopefully he is versed in dynamic languages.

Dynamic languages optimize well and allow professional hosters to give you some administrative control.

Thanks for dinner in Birmingham! Because of your kindness, I'll email you a 20 page handout on website design and SEO.

Good luck John, and please get back to me if I can assist.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hi John,

Chris' partner, Rob is coming down to do the photography and sort out what's what. It's a good deal if anyone else is thinking of a website, you can pay more, both in set up fees and per year without clapping eyes on anyone.

I know it's about time to take things to another level, especially with the range of things we sell.

CMC next!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Web sites

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Hi John (Ranes)

Nice to see your more than helpful suggestions on the subject of framers web sites. But tell me what does SEO mean. I hope I'm not the only one who doesn't know!
One site I particulary like ( apart from yours John!) is www.ormondsframing.com

Keith Hewitt

Life is like a pack of mountboard - you never know what to expect, until you open it!
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

SEO......................Search Engine Optimisation .......................I think

Rgs

Dermot

PS......I'm trying very hard to inprove my web site I'm waiting for new product details and a few other things but even as it is I'm getting 2 or 3 call a week from it.....and the best sales I have had have come from my web site.....though that is changing in the last month or so....

www.matting-systems.com
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

Try http://www.1and1.co.uk under Hosting you'll see a range of packages including the ability to set up all kinds of dynamic contect, database integration, galleries etc. The best bit is to edit the site you don't need an editor, simply open their WYSIWYG editor online and alter the content on screen. I see they're just cut their prices in the last day or two so now you can get fully set up for £8.45 per month inc VAT.
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Dermot wrote:SEO......................Search Engine Optimisation .......................I think
Got it in one Dermot.
I have found the free tools on this site very useful in optimising my website. There is also a lot of good information on SEO there.

http://www.searchengineoptimising.com/
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------