Composition of Gummed Tape

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
markw

Composition of Gummed Tape

Post by markw »

We have a thread running on the virtues of backing tapes. its obvious that some framers love gummed tape - some hate it. Fine Art Trade Guild rules say that you should use gummed tape to seal the backs of frames from conservation standard upwards.
I decided to try and look up the materials used to make the gum on gummed tape. I dont have the answer here as I found a couple of candidates for the glue - Gum Arabic and Animal Bone Glue. Any informed answers welcome, but it would be good to pin down the virtues of the good old lick and stick - but now that I know that it might be animal bone glue ime licking their might be less lick.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I see quite a lot of old frames on a regular basis in my workshop, sometimes bits of the frame have been chewed by the odd rat or insects. This has on occassions included the gesso decorations. Funny how they never go for the gummed tape. I suspect if it had anything edible in the adhesive something would make a point of eating it, or perhaps it tastes as bad to other creatures as to us. For those who still lick envelops, are we going to regret finding out what we are licking? Yuk! This posting may result in encouraging more to buy the dispensers that do the licking for us (I use a sponge and dish)
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

If no-one had invented dispensers I'd use self-adhesive, or ask my framer to poke his tongue out!
markw

Post by markw »

I like the idea of a dedicated tape licker - thirsty work :x
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

These days I would suspect that it is a fish based glue………..again with a product like this the supplier/manufacture should have MSDS details for the product given that it could end up been used in the food or healthcare industries for packaging……….

The paper for the tape is just Kraft paper……..

And I would conclude that if the manufacture is of any repute that they are sourcing the glue/gum from the same source that the manufacturers/printers of postal stamps use…….

Dermot
markw

Post by markw »

Dermot
I have searched the internet for information and have concluded that there are very few details available without specifically asking the supplier.
Postage stamps seem to use a starch based gum or gum aribic.

Lion Picture Framing Supplies dont detail the gum composition - nor do any of the suppliers I have used. I suspect that you could easily be buying gummed tape with different formulations without the first clue - unless you ask for details with every batch of tape. Fish based glue hasnt been described on any of the sites visited, but a lot of sites describe the glue as animal bone glue.
I have asked the question of a few suppliers and will post them when recieved (if).

The point of asking the question was to clarify my thoughts about gummed versus self adhesive tapes for taping up frame backs. I am sure, knowing your experience with conservation framing, that you will have a sensible view on the pros for using gummed tape, but I hope I have highlighted the potential pitfalls that can accompany buying a generic product that can potentially have so many different forms.
markw

Post by markw »

Kraft Paper - the term Kraft means strong.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Here is some information from Hovat who most likley supply some of the picture framing supply houses......like Lion and Wessex

http://www.hovat.co.uk/services/tapes/gummed.htm

Windmill are another manufacturer and supplier of tape http://www.windmilltapes.co.uk/

Dermot