WI FI?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

WI FI?

Post by silvercleave »

Does anybody know or perhaps know someone who knows if it is possible to run 2 modems for broadband on one phone line, we live in a very old stone build property and cannot get wifi to work through the walls, so cannot connect my laptop further away than outside the office door.

I have a BT Hub connected to the office comp. and the laptop is wireless, if I could connect the laptop in to the circuit it would solve the problem, I have several phone points around the house.

I'm sure there must be a wizkid out there somewhere

keep warm

Ian
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: WI FI?

Post by Merlin »

The only option then Ian is to run a cable from the Hub to where ever you need to work on the Laptop if the WiFi will not work through the walls.

Have you tried placing the Hub (if at all possible) higher up in the building or even getting an extender cable so that the aerial is high. You will get far greater 'slant' coverage and a stronger signal than you will 'horizontal' coverage.

Just rambling thoughts
John GCF
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

using existing house wiring rather than a new ethernet cable there is a Wi-Fi type thing which plugs into your household plug socket from a network cable to your modem or router, effectively turning your ring main into a network cable, and you have a unit you plug into any convenient plug socket in any room which either transmits wifi or into which you can plug an ethernet cable - whichever is most convenient.

It works, we had one in our old house, left it there when we sold, made by DrayRek, and good for 100mbp speeds, just as good as a "hard wired" ethernet. but i think plenty of others are available.

Basically it saves you having to put in fresh wiring and simply utilises the house wiring instead of CAT5 cable.

Personally I prefer hard wired ethernet to wifi not just on security issues but i just figure we are surrounded enough by electromagnetic pollution withot adding to it lol. Plus some wifi dont give you the full wallop, so it gets hard streaming video etc from room to room if thats your thing.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html
heres a device very similar
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

This month in PC Pro is a reveiw of several house wiring data units. Probably your best bet. However if you have extra phone sockets then adding additional ethernet cables from your hub via the same route may be possible. I am also a fan of fixed cabling for maximum speed and reliability.
Pat
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

The BT Home Hub has a notoriously limited range. You will find lots of very useful information on the subject in the PC Advisor forum.

eg:
BT Home Hub, wireless connection problem

Extending BT HomeHub router range with AP
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

Putting 2 DSL or CABLE modems on the line would require paying for 2 accounts with the ISP, unfortunately. That would give you 2 different IP's, and they'd want to charge for that. A standard router will split a single feed for up to 252 pc's, and assign fake internal (NAT) IP addresses to your computers.

One thing to try is setting it to transmit on channel 11. By default, most routers come on channel 6 (in USA, at least). In most homes you can detect 8-12 wireless signals in your neighborhood, and when they're all fighting for the same channel/frequency, there will be reception problems. It's possible that one of your neighbors is coming in stronger, due to the stone walls, overpowering your signal on that same channel. Channel 11 is usually a safe bet and a clean frequency. Keep in mind that microwave ovens and older cordless telephones will also interfere with wifi, and share the same 2.4ghz range.

Wired is always faster and more secure, but if you orient the router near a window, it will bounce back to the window downstairs and may work just fine. While the signal doesnt do well through stone walls or floors, it will go a couple city blocks outside the home.

Wireless networks can be very dangerous, even if you don't use them (if your router has antennas). They should be secured with WPA encryption (never WEP), and a password/key. If you don't secure the router, folks can do illegal things with your internet feed; leaving you with the legal responsibility. They can also sniff your packets to steal emails, IM's, credit cards used online, etc. If you have a POS or shared drives, they can take or modify your customer and price databases, accounting software, etc. It's very easy to secure these things, which is the good news!

Mike
Framer and computer consultant
USA
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

We use a NetGear WiFi Wall Plug extender. Works great. Just connect an ethernet cable from the router to one of the extenders, plug that into the mains, plug the other gizmo into a mains socket where you need the WiFi connection and bingo - it just works.

If you are using any form of protection on your WiFi network it might need some setting up - don't know because we have a completely open system (it's easier).
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
silvercleave

Post by silvercleave »

Very many thanks to all that answered, certainly gives food for thought, will probably go down the box into the mains route as part of the circuit runs into the workshop

Again many thanks, another problem solved :) :clap: :clap:

Ian
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

The two parts of my mains WiFi extender are on different circuits (one is in the old part of the building and one in a new extension) but it still seems to work.

BTW, instructions say both must be plugged into a wall socket - not an adapter or extension lead.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
silvercleave

Post by silvercleave »

WelshFramer wrote:The two parts of my mains WiFi extender are on different circuits (one is in the old part of the building and one in a new extension) but it still seems to work.

BTW, instructions say both must be plugged into a wall socket - not an adapter or extension lead.
Many thanks Welshframer, sounds as if you are in the same type of building ...... OLD .......so as long as it is on the same supply it will work, very many thanks for that and have a good Christmas and New Year

regards

Ian M