Pressure sensitive mounting and laminating

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Pressure sensitive mounting and laminating

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi All,
A few weekends ago, Ventons' had an open day and were demonstrating a motorised pressure sensitive mounting and laminating machine. I hadn't previously even thought about getting one before, but it was very quick, easy and impressive too! Since then, I've been thinking seriously about getting one.

We are getting more ink jet output to frame these days and compatablity with the normal heated press is a difficult issue to be sure of with so many varieties of printers and papers in use. I must admit to negative thoughts about self-adhesive mountboards, and pressure sensitive laminating materials, mostly as to how permanent or desirable such self-adhesives are in picture framing.

It would be both interesting and helpful to hear some informed opinions on this!
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I am a dry mounting rookie.

Early on I had bad experiences with self adhesive board and films. Also saw some results from other framers who owned all the gear. Decided that dry-mounting if it was absolutely necessary - could go to my competitors.

But then they brought out artcare restore - reversible dry mounting with artcare protection. Bought a press, bought a box of jumbo artcare restore - no problems so far. May get into laminating and canvas bonding etc - no rush though.

All I'd say is be wary of things that give you just the one chance!
markw

Post by markw »

I view my dry mount press as a neccesary evil. Its the quickest way to destroy your customers work i can think of. Dry mounting is a double edged sword - generaly the work that needs dry mounting falls into the category of - valuable and shouldnt be dry mounted - or worthless and the customer doesnt want to pay for dry mounting.

I had some photos in just before Christmas - regular customer always insists on having photos dry mounted - put photos in hot press as usual - watch them self destruct. Fortunatley I knew the customer well and was able to call them and ask for new photos. You just cant tell how some media will react so I now use self adhesive board for all photos if customer wants dry mounting - I might finish the job off in press with the temp turned right down.

Roboframer - what temperature are you using for the artcare? I have some sample pieces to try out.

NYAF - This topic has been covered in a previous threadhttp://estlite.scenes.biz/phpBB2/viewto ... y+mounting

I have just had a pack of dry mount board in from Renaissance that seems to be giving me good results at much lower temperatures and less time.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I already do dry mounting and heatsealing and find I use my heated press much more than I ever expected. Being local to Dartmoor, maps are a regular item, also there are many other creative possibilities too!

Unfortunately, my old and very large Ademco screw down heated press takes 30 minutes to heat up, but a the motorised machine would open up possibilities for a very easily marketable while you wait over the counter service, particularly to the digital camera and printer brigade as the acrylic adhesive has the added advantage of blocking U.V. light and greatly extending the useful life of ink-jet printer outputs and the lack of heat would solve the problem with grease from finger marks gassing uder the film when heated, (also you can't use any of the usual cleaning methods with ink-jet photos).

Self-adhesives are not universally liked because of the presence of plasticisers, questions about the reliable life of the adhesive bond, etc. Another question which I have is this - Can I be sure that these adhesive are safe to use directly over ink-jet printing or will there be un-wanted effects according to the make of printer or the inks used? I've not heard anything bad in this regard, but this is not the same as knowing for sure.
Cheers,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

markw wrote: Roboframer - what temperature are you using for the artcare? I have some sample pieces to try out.
150 degrees and 30 secs to release and if 180-200 to stick.