More bad practice/ethics by publisher

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

Go online to Sue Howells web page and see "the pram and the dog," now thats two pictures....Norrie
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Hi Norrie,

I Googled Sue Howells, got this - her website

http://www.suzannehowells.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Can't find that picture.

I will ask her for her views, I will send her a copy of the email I sent Alpha One - seeing as they have not seen fit to reply, even to acknowledge receipt of the email. I'll print it out and put it in the post to them, just incase.

I'll also send her a link to here, but I emphasize that my gripe is with the publisher. Sue Howells has not sold me anything.
norymags
Organisation: Picture This Framers
Interests: Photography and Motor-homing.

Post by norymags »

John try this link

www.thepicturestudio.co.uk/howells/howells.htm - 19k

or 15%off sue howells the artist at the picture studio (google)

Norrie
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I see it Norrie, thanks.

Email sent to SH
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thinking about it more, I think the publisher stuffed up, if the images have come from a strip that have been cut up into, say, 4 pieces - they would normally send one customer the first and third and another the second and fourth.

And that could be exactly what you are looking at with "pram & the dog"

Or am I paranoid? .......be right back...OK, thought I heard someone trying to get in the back door. One thing I noticed as I checked the back door was that the field behind my place has a distinct GRASSY KNOLL in the middle of it.

Probably nothing. I never let things like that bother me. Be right back...Ok. Yeah, it's definitely a knoll, and it is grassy. Not a hill, mind you, but a knoll. A lot of folks would be worried, you know, conspiracies and all that, but it would be a 300 yard shot from here to the grassy knoll. On the other hand, it would also be a 300 yard shot from the grassy knoll to HERE!! (I could make a shot like that easily)

Well, I'm not gonna make a big deal out of...wait a minute! I said deal, as in Dealey Plaza! Wonder why THAT popped into my head? Oh God! 'Popped into my head'!!!! Same thing that happened to JFK! Nah. I'm linking too many things toget...

'Linking', 'linking'??? Hmmmmm....linking sounds sorta like Lincoln, which is what JFK was riding in. I know, I'll watch my 'House of Yes' DVD. That'll get my mind off it. Not that my mind was ON it in the first place. (NURSE! Where'd I put my medicine?!?!?)
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

As an artist, I don't find anything wrong with what this artist did. If you have a subject/style that people buy, and it can be painted and separated in this way, it makes sense to do it - it's batch production. As a framer, if you were asked to produce 6 frames, all the same style and size, would you make them individually and sequentially or would you do it as a batch?

These are all unique originals, which is what the customer wants. If she had done only one and made prints, they would not have been as popular or lucrative - for herself and for you!

Look at how this would help the artist mentally, too. If you were to do these on 6 separate pieces of paper, it becomes harder work to go on painting what would seem to your mind as the same painting over and over again. Using a single sheet helps you think of it as one picture - it becomes easier to deal with it.

If I found a subject I could do this with, I'd have no qualms about doing it that way.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Making frames, cars, chips, beef wellingtons, whatever, has diddly spit to do with ART.

But if you want to compare framing to art - OK - how about this.............

I have a valuable watercolour to frame. I should back it with a conservation or 'museum' quality board and hinge it with mulberry tissue and wheatstarch paste, but hey, this costs more and I have to WAIT for the paste to dry it's HARDER WORK. Who will be any wiser if I back it with framers grey board (which I would not use even as a slip mat BTW) and hinge it, on the face of the paper with good ol' masking tape EH?

How about I even CHARGE for a conservation job, that would be good wouldn't it!

Yes, Spit, of course I would make a batch of frames as you describe and not individually. I'd probably give a discount too - a very good one for a big batch!

HARD WORK is what I WANT from an artist! If art is not BESPOKE, then what the hell IS?

I have asked the publisher some questions and have not yet received a reply.

I asked the same questions to the FATG and received a confidential reply, I will respect that confidentiality.