Framing Accounting Ledger Book

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Lemon_Drop

Framing Accounting Ledger Book

Post by Lemon_Drop »

Hi, I really need some ideas on this one, maybe someone of you had framed something like it before. The book itself is 300 years old and carries the history of trade at that time of my local town. its about 3 times the size of a bible and has as many pages. Thinking about a shadowbox with an easle to support the book which has to be framed with the pages open. I can attach the easle with wires through the back of the frame to support it but the problem is keeping the book from moving then, I dunno, i cant really do anything that will damage the book. Maybe its the wrong way to go about it, its just the first idea that came into my head and maybe there is a better way. The main problem is mounting it because of the weight and it has to be done in a way that wont damage it. Or maybe cut layers of foamcore with openings the same size as the book and build up the layers to the depth of the book and add a mount and fillet then. I really cant think of anything other than this :cry:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

How big is it exactly and how heavy?

May get some ideas here

http://www.thegrumble.com/ubb/ultimateb ... 412#000000
Lemon_Drop

Post by Lemon_Drop »

Thanks for the reply and link to the grumble site, Roboframer. The book is about 18 inches high and about 16 inches when its open and weights around 5lbs.I think the easle idea was crazy really but its the first thing that came into my head, maybe I need a brain transplant :( . The sinking of the book seems to be the best option, so i will use that method, besides lots of old american bibles were on the large side and it seems to be the prefered method of framing it. :)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I used to be a bookbinder some years ago, so I can give you a bookbinders perspective on this. In general books are rounded and backed so that the weight of the pages or sets (pages are sewn in as folded sets) is properly supported when the closed book is standing on a shelf. When open this support is not provided, but does not usually matter since the book should normally be opened flat on a table top (Libraries with valuable old books insist upon this).

I have never seen any books framed opened in a vertical or near vertical position, but I would guess the secret would be to support the weight of the pages without causing any loss of visiblity of the printing towards the inside margins caused by the centre of the back (spine) moving back and closing part of the inside margin areas together. A lot of how you might do this would also depend upon the value of the book, it's condition and method of binding.

To the layman there appear to be two main methods of construction you are likely to come across which are hollow backs and tight backs, (tight backs have no hollow!). However, tight backs come in two different constructions, the flexible back and the library back. Hollow backs and flexible backs can be quite weak and need more careful use when open, library backs are usually very strong, but often much stiffer to open.
Hope this helps,
Mark
markw

Post by markw »

Deep box would work - keep to conservation grade - or even museum grade materials - wouldnt use a fillet as this would introduce a potential pollutant into the frame - UV filter glass. Some good advice from Not Your Average Framer- You cant buy experience. A picture of it when finished would be good.
Paul Hardy

Post by Paul Hardy »

When I've seen such books in display cases in galleries and museums, they have mylar straps to keep the book flat and stop the pages flicking forward.

Paul
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Who sells Mylar straps, or Mylar anything?

I use Lion for pretty much all my accessories/hardware and they don't, or if they do I can't see it!
markw

Post by markw »

http://www.preservationequipment.co.uk/ - from a previous thread about framing magazines - Mylar no longer manufactured - melinex is the stuff used now.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I am suprised to hear that Mylar is no longer produced, but in many industries is usage has been replaced my more cost effective materials. Mylar was a popular insulating material in the electronics business, but has lost ground to Kevlar which is stronger and withstands higher temperatures. A company which may still sell Mylar used to be called "Kent Insulations" and when I last dealt with them had changed their name to "Kensulate". They were based in Chiswick, London, W4. It was not that unusual for companies to buy Mylar in relatively small quantities for R & D projects - You may just get lucky!

Three other companies worth checking out for Mylar or Melinex are "Conservation Resources" in Horspath near Oxford, "Conservation by Design" in Bedford (01234 853555) and "Russell Bookcrafts" in Throckington, Herts (01763 281430). I hope these phone numbers are still current, they been in my contacts list for some time.

It's guessing on my part, but I suspect that Mylar and Melinex may just be two different trade names for much the same polymer. I would suggest that you don't let anyone sell you polyester as an alternative, it's much less durable and can easily tear under stress.
Cheers,
Mark
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Not your average framer wrote:Hi,

It's guessing on my part, but I suspect that Mylar and Melinex may just be two different trade names for much the same polymer.

Yes and made by the same company........ Dupont USA (discontinued) Dupont Europe (Melinex)
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com