Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Three books

Post by Spit »

A question for all the more experienced framers out there..

If you were starting out as a framing newbie which 3 books would you have wanted to read first? In other words, which would have been most helpful to you?

I ask as I have a very limited budget, and would like to get my choice of books right first time.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

Whoever you ask you are likely not to get the same three books suggested. Also, a lot of very good books would now be considered out of date as knowledge and techniques have advanced.

However here's three worth checking out:

Guild Commended Framer - Study Guide Fine Art Trade Guild
Conservation Framing. Fine Art Trade Guild
Framing Fabric Art. Fine Art Trade Guild

Also here are a few which are now a bit old and dated (I found them useful at the time). Some methods in some of these are no longer considered good practice, but still worth a look:

Picture Framing - A practical guide to all aspects of the art and the craft. Pete Bingham
The Complete Manual of Wood Finishing. Frederick Oughton
The Art of Framing. Piers Feetham
Displaying Pictures. Piers Feetham

By the way, does anybody know if the Nona Powers book about colour theory is worth getting?
Cheers,
Mark
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

Cheers mark,

I'm trying to avoid study guides as as far as I've read you need other books to supplement them. I'm starting off a basic framing service in my shop, but I don't have a lot of spare cash to invest into it - I'm hoping that it will build up gradually, and after a couple of years of building up stock, hardware & equipment, then I might be able to afford to do something like the GCF.

Like any industry, framing has its own terminology, so I'd like something that gives me a clue on that front. Advice on choosing colours & mouldings, mount styles, etc would be helpful. Fabric/Cross stitch/Tapestry framing is likely to be the top request round here (I'm in a WI hotspot!) so that is what I would most like to learn about.

I know that asking for peoples opinions on three books will bring a wide range of answers, but it would give me more of a clue what to go for than I have at the moment!
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

In a way you are asking the wrong people, experienced framers don't need books! (Some of course write them though!) at least not introductory ones and have other tools for improving and expanding their skills. However there are many that grab all new literature they can. Searching this forum and the grumble will also reveal a wealth of info and ideas.

A couple of good courses would serve you well, where books may be recommended.

But the FATG library can be a good source, once you find the titles and authors, see if your library can source them, save buying. A subscription to 'The Picture Business' and 'Art Business Today' would also be a good move.

Advice on choosing the right mount colours and mouldings is a minefield, but, as an artist you will have a head start. Best bit of advice I have ever been given on this subject though is this - DON'T COMPETE WITH THE ARTWORK.

Another, whilst gradually building up the business and your experience - don't practice on other peoples' property.
markw

Post by markw »

Profitable picture framing by Bernard Masser - covers the basics - available from Lion Picture Framing.

I would add that when you start out in picture framing its a bad idea to think that you can offer a professional service without some reasonable knowledge of what your doing. Its so easy to cock up your customers work - to frame in such a way that the work is damaged by the materials or techniques used. Whilst a book can point you in the right direction it pays to get someone to teach you the basics.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi,

I agree with Markw, I would say that hands-on training is vital to success. Reading about how to do it just doesn't work, some things you need be shown and learn to do for yourself. I was fortunate to have six months working in a busy framing workshop, plus a few days of training on specific areas with Mike Royal at Royal Framing near Bristol.

From previous threads, I believe that there are those who offer training facilities and participate on this forum. Could be a chance for those concerned to say Hi!
Cheers,
Mark
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Binghams pure agony, the larson juhl framing manual (american but with plenty of tips on marketing and running a store the american way, and some good commonsense explanations and diagrams, although some of the framing methods advocated seem a bit, erm, long winded), and of course the GCF study guide.

I also recommend a brief training course, in fact I recently sent a new member of staff to Mike Royall's just so that he had in place a "default" right way of doing things if in doubt. worth every penny of the £240 a day.

The best thing to read next, although i cant get it through to my staff :roll: : the manual for the machines you are using!!!!
that way you dont get the chap in charge of maintenance unbolting the motor covers on your compressors and pouring oil all over the motors..... :shock: