Learning opportunity

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
osgood

Learning opportunity

Post by osgood »

NYAF's last post on the issue of tagging guns has prompted me to think about a couple of occassions in the recent past where I have been given a valuable lesson.

On one occassion the lesson came from a customer who ordered an empty frame, quite expensive and made to his specified size.

Being an inquisitive person and wanting to show some interest in the customer, when he picked up his frame, I asked what he was putting into it. He told me that he was a collector of small objects, but obviously didn't want to say exactly what these objects were.
I then asked him what method he used to mount the objects in the frame. He responded "silicone". I asked him why he chose silicone for mounting. His immediate response was that he was a plumber and had plenty of silicone.

As we all know, silicone has many disadvantages and can cause harm so it's not a good choice for mounting anything that we place a value on.
I thought I would offer him some free advice and asked him if he knew that there was a better method to avoid any damage to the objects and gave him a brief explanation of some mechanical methods and also the disadvantages of using silicone. His response to that was that he had been doing it this way for ten years and has never had a problem so he would continue to use silicone!

Nothing more I can do about that!

The other occassion was relating to some historic matted photos that a company in Sydney has been selling for twenty years or more, and I have often had customers bring them in to have framed. The photos are always attached to a mat with masking tape, all the way around.

The last two that came in had a web address so I went to the site and found an email address. I thought that I should write to the company and make a suggestion that they could use Filmoplast P90 as a better alternative to masking tape. (Not the ultimate solution, but a giant step up) I also suggested that the tape was only necessary in two locations on the top edge and perhaps two small pieces on the bottom edge to keep the photo a little more stable during handling etc. These two could be cut prior to framing. I also pointed out that this would cost them less for tape and I also explained the disadvantages of using masking tape.

I recieved a nice response from a lady from the company who was very appreciative of my interest, but explained that in the twenty or so years that they have been doing this, they had never had a problem. Again any suggestion of a better method was totally dismissed.

Nothing more I can do about that!

These two stories have a common attitude - "I have been doing this for many years, so it must be right!"
CLOSED MINDS!

These are just two occasions in my life that have made me realize that I need to have an open mind so that I can learn. Many times I have forgotten to have an open mind and have had to be reminded - sometimes it's been an expensive reminder.

Learning anything requires an open mind! Learning a new technique or piece of equipment requires an open mind!

Many times I have experienced a problem with a new piece of equipment, that has seemed to be unresolvable and I have decided to abandon it.
Often this has been a hasty and and unwise decision based on lack of knowledge of the correct method of use. Just by seeking advice on the correct method of use, the problem can sometimes be solved.
Sometimes it has been because the equipment was poor quality and I should have spent a little extra and purchased the more expensive model. Sometimes the more expensive model was the worst quality.

There are many factors involved and by keeping an open mind and exploring many possibilities can result in success.

There have been occassions during the twenty one years I have been in this industry where I have resisted implementing a technique that many, many framers in other parts of the world have been using on a daily basis, because I had a negative attitude towards it. My closed mind would not allow me to realize that I was the odd one out.

"All those other people were wrong and I was the only one who was right" - not a very logical thought!

The attitude "I don't like it, so I refuse to use it" is one we often hear and those words have come from me on more than one occassion. We all have to make our own choices, but sometimes our choice can cause us to miss out on some benefits.

"Open mindedness" is an attitude that can be of great benefit to learning and life in general. Every day should be an opportunity to learn something new.

This and other forums are a great opportunity to learn something new! Please encourage other people in the industry to participate in this and other such forums to encourage learning.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

Hi Ormond,

Interesting post.

I'm a little confised though. Are you saying that those peoples' minds were closed because they would not employ your higher standards, or that your mind was closed to the notion that the methods that they used were adequate for their purposes?
FN
osgood

Post by osgood »

FN,

Sorry if I confused you.
Those people had totally closed minds. They would not even consider any other method. They both said they had been doing it for many years and they could see nothing wrong with what they were doing.

It's their choice! I was just offering to help them learn how do it better, for their own benefit, but their minds were closed, they didn't want to know!

I don't want to be like that........I want to learn from others wherever possible.
mathematician

Post by mathematician »

Superb post Ormond.
Your point has so much relevance to the posts about standards, pricing, workshop practice, cutomer service - just about everything in fact.
I can't believe how little response you've had.

When we have a task to do it is human nature to find a method and stick to it. We are looking for an easy life so why try to find an alternative method when the one we are using works just fine.
Then someone tries to show us a better way and we don't listen because it is a bit too painful to admit that we've been doing it the wrong way for the past ten years.

This is particularly relevant to framing where so many businesses exist in isolation happily believing that their methods are the best.

I used to work as a Test Engineer for a large US corporation and we were regularly moved around within departments and transferred to different managers so that we were constantly on our toes and could never settle into a routine or become complacent.

I have to say it isn't the easiest way to work but it does create a lively vibrant atmosphere where people tend to learn more and understand and appreciate the views of others.

Perhaps there is a case for framers spending a week in each others businesses.
sarah

Post by sarah »

Excellent idea Mathsy why don't you come our way and we will teach you a few tricks. Always happy to show someone where they're going wrong. :wink:

I agree whole heartedly with the notion. We all have room for improvement and I'm always welcoming hints and tips.

Who was said - "if you stop learning you're dead"? (or words to that effect.)
mathematician

Post by mathematician »

Oooh no!

I'm not gettin' caught again.

The last time a woman offered to show me a few tricks it cost me a bloody fortune. :lol:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Quite so, Osgood,

I've learnt a lot from those of this forum and made some changes to my working methods too! Apart from finding out not to push the tag gun hard against the mountboard, I'm have also invested in a Lion gummed paper tape dispenser following good advice on the thread about backing tapes and I now use better materials for backing boards too! Come to think about it, that's all in quite a short period of time too!
My thanks to all concerned,
Mark
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Excellent topic Ormond,

A big point I read into this is 'don't knock it till you've tried it'

By the same token, even if you've tried it, don't knock it just because YOU don't like it and others are over the moon with it!

But also, if you really do hate it so much that you feel you have to speak out - do so!

Don't bottle it - that's what MY shrink says!