Screwed up a photo

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

Screwed up a photo

Post by Roboframer »

I wanted to get a photo I took printed on canvas, 20x30". But I reduced it to 800x600 and saved it instead of saving it 'as' another file.

The printer (all singing all dancing digital lab type place) says no way, but if I give him my memory card, even though I have deleted the image, he may be able to retrieve it. I used a 12.1 mpi camera set to 'fine' and maximum size.

Failing that, the image is great A4 from my own printer, do you think a much larger print could be made from a scan from that?

(He could tell me that, but not 'til Monday!)
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Re: Screwed up a photo

Post by Moglet »

What photo software are you using, John?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Oh dear!

Well, I put photos in to 'my pictures' with Nikon Picture Project - came with the camera (and I should add that I had to plug my camera in just now to remember that - I am a TOTAL dinosaur) that is it came with my first camera, the software that came with THIS camera is called Nikon Picture Project - but ....I can't.... get..... it to ..... work.... Waaaah. Anyway, after that Irfanview takes over.

Hope that helps :xcomputer:
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

All I know about Irfanview is what I've read here, so I can't give you any specifics.

If the image is coming out well on an A4 printer, you could rescan that and then enlarge it. Try the following.

1. Scan the photo at 600dpi and save to your hard disk.

2. Use the "Resample" function in Irfanview (assuming it has one) and enlarge it to the required size: it should just be a case of putting in the required width - the software will probably calculate the proportionate increase in length. (Note: this will create a fairly hefty file sizewise).

3. To test the quality of the enlargement, just print to an A4 page. Even though all of the image won't fit on an A4 page, the printed "section" should be a good guide to the print quality of the enlarged image.

4. If you are happy with the quality, run the "Resample" function again, and instead of changing the dimensions of the photo, you can set the resolution back to 300dpi. The lower resolution will save on disk space when the file is resaved.

Hope this is of some help. Hopefully someone else will be along later that can give you Irfanview specifics. :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks Áine, I'll mess about with all that on Sunday - too late in the day now.

Would be great if the printer guy could retrieve it from my memory card though.

I'm really p'd off as the photo in question is this one
DSCN2386.JPG
Not like I could just watch the weather and nip out and take another hundred shots or so and pick the best one, not that I took 100 shots that time. I wanted this on my wall at home in that 20x30 size, plus for sale in the shop, plus as a gobsmacking sample for corporate customers.

What a plonker I turned out to be!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Don't go so hard on yourself, John! We've all done similar... :oops: :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sorry to apply the kybosh, but resizing a an image back to a bigger size will not restore the definition of the original. :(
Resampling is just a digital guesswork method to blend in the extra pixels.

Write out 100 times....

I must never edit the source file.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I must never edit the source file

(Do I get caned as well :sweating: )

Sorry Robo - had to edit your source. J
:)
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Perhaps this software may be of use, there is a 30 day trial option, http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
prospero

Post by prospero »

Roboframer wrote:I must never edit the source file
I must never edit the source file.......

(Do I get caned as well :sweating: )
Only if you do it again. :twisted:

You seem to have got the hang of Ctrl+V anyway. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote: Only if you do it again. :twisted:
Well, I also sent the printer guy a photo of Arundel Castle ..... that was once my avatar!

My place or yours?
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

prospero wrote: Only if you do it again. :twisted:
You're a hard taskmaster, Prospero! :P
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

It's a cracking picture John, I can see why you would want to retrieve the hi-res version.
Roboframer wrote:The printer (all singing all dancing digital lab type place) says no way, but if I give him my memory card, even though I have deleted the image, he may be able to retrieve it.
This is your best bet, if the original data has not been overwritten by subsequent writes to the card. There are a few utilities that will attempt to retrieve deleted image files, you will find more information here. I have had some success with Zero Assumption.

Failing that, there are lots of utilities, such as Reshade Image Enlarger, that claim to enlarge an image with little or no loss of image clarity.
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

Robo... if you get no luck then send me the file you have and I'll run it through Genuine Fractals 6, or send me it anyway. Let me know what size you want it..... It will enlarge by 1000% without any loss of image... well thats what they say!!

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=7

Regards

Chris
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks all.

I'll mention those utilities to my printer guy on Monday when I take my memory card.

This is the printer's site http://www.vpsimaging.com/Home.html
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Roboframer wrote:Oh dear!

Well, I put photos in to 'my pictures' with Nikon Picture Project - came with the camera (and I should add that I had to plug my camera in just now to remember that - I am a TOTAL dinosaur) that is it came with my first camera, the software that came with THIS camera is called Nikon Picture Project - :

That should have read 'Nikon Transfer'!
Newframer

Post by Newframer »

Download PhotoRescuePro

Then PM me and i will give an activation code (i have had a free copy of this software bundled with every CF card i have bought)

Sod's law that i had to pay for a copy many moons ago before i was CF, the one day i needed it.I had moved 40k+ images onto an external hard drive and then had a 'write error' RescuePro worked a treat and i got back every single image.Though i forgot to check the 'keep folder structure' :head: thus i had to sift through all of the images and create new folders
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Almost a month down the line - hope you got the photo back John - that view would look stunning on an A1 or bigger. A book I have by Tom Ang says that once pixels are chucked they are gone for good. Might sound over the top but I have a Macbook almost exclusively for all my photography because no matter what you do to a photo (via photoshop, i-photo or other editing program) you can with a click revert to the original file.
Alan