Tips on How to get a Better Page Rank on Google

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Tips on How to get a Better Page Rank on Google

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Its often asked how to get a better ranking on Google – or put another way how to get your web site at the top of a Google search. Its easy to do and there’s no need to pay some one to do it for you.

So here is my first tip – Share your links – Google’s web bots jump from one website to another via hyperlinks so the more links you have to your site the better. Get swapping!

Who’s Next?
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Re: Tips on How to get a Better Page Rank on Google

Post by Bill Henry »

It has also been suggested that changing your web site frequently by giving it fresh content helps. This is why blogs often show up near the top.

Unfortunately, either I don’t have enough time or I’m not clever enough to come up with fresh ideas for this to help me a great deal.

As you mentioned, reciprocal links have been suggested to help people get higher rankings.

There was an experiment on The Grumble a few months back asking all interested parties to share their web site information with each other.

I frankly don’t know the results of this experiment, but the thread that suggested it went strangely silent after a few months. Unfortunately, I suspect that this sharing didn’t help any (or too many) people to improve their page rankings.

Since most of us are small potatos in the web community, I doubt that many of us can compete with the giants like Microsoft or Nikon or Toyota that has thousands of links to and from their many sites.

I receive periodic newsletters from Entire Web. Much of the content is blatant commercialization plugging their products, but they almost always have nifty articles, ideas and suggestions. I find it well worth looking at their articles and applying what I can to my site.

You can subscribe to their newsletter, by clicking here.

I, too, look forward to any other suggestions that will help bump me towards the first page.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Register your site with Google.

The chances are Google already know its there, but if your site is new it’s worth doing.
Try this – go to Google and type this in __ site:yourwebsite.co.uk __ it will then show you all the pages Google has indexed.

If your site is not indexed you can submit it here - http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl

It can take any where between 1 hour and 1 month for your site to appear on Google so be patient!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Trying to work for a decent Google Page Rank is a Webmasters nightmare.

SEO is not an immediate or overnight fix. It usually takes between 3 weeks and 12 weeks for your changes to be noticed by any of the search engines.

It is a waiting game. Make your changes, submit your SiteMap.xml. Sit back and relax. Do not make changes every week and update as you will get totally confused as to what has been actioned and what has not.

You do not have to pay a fortune for these SEO companies who promise to get you to the number 1 position in 1 week. You can do it yourself.

Here are some top tips in no particular order:

1. Offer quality content.
Make sure it is well written and easy to follow with no spelling mistakes. Describe or sell your product accuractly

2. Create unique and accurate Page titles. <title> and place it within the <head> tag of the HTML document.
This tells both users and search engines what the topic of that page is.

3.Use the <description> meta tag. Some Search engines will ignore this whilst others look for it.
This page description meta tag give the search engines a summary of what the page is about.

4. Structure your URL's. This helps you to be more organised and could lead to better crawling.

5. Use the alt="xxxx" on all images.
This is a short description of the image for users who cannot display images.

6. Use a Sitemap.xml and upload it on your server.
This helps the crawlers find all the URLs on your site.

Just a few then. I am sure others will be along shortly
John GCF
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Add your Business to Google Maps.

This in it’s self might not get you a higher ranking on Google, but it will help potential customer find your business when searching on Google. This is not the same as submitting your website to Google.

You will need to log in if you already have a Google account or sign up if you don’t. You can add a description of your business, contact details, link to your website and images like a photo of the front of your shop.
(Remember that this will be another link to your site which will help for a better ranking.)

Link to add your business - https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... n-GB&gl=GB
Newco
Organisation: Wall Art
Interests: My kids and Football

Post by Newco »

Hi,

Developing a website can be a real chore for those of us who do not have the time or web experience to produce a new, or improve an existing website. My suggestion would be to contact your local business link advisor. I know for a fact that all geographical areas supported by Business Link have access to Marketing grants that can support you through a minimum of consultations with a local web developer who will have the knowledge you need to improve your site, and if you are really lucky you may even qualify for enough money to produce a brand new site. This time of year is always the best time to enquire about grants as the new financial year has just commenced and the budgets are as good as they ever get so get in there before they run out.

Good Luck!