Rebate Support annoyance!

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Rebate Support annoyance!

Post by Coxby »

Can anyone tell me the purpose of the highlighted 'knob' on my Morso's Rebate Supports? and how do I get rid of the blessed things? I've tried tapping them out and unscrewing them but they won't budge!

All they do is snag the backside of the rebate and prevent the supports from sliding smoothly apart as you move the blades forwards and it's reeeeeeeeeeally annoying me!! :evil: :x

Edward Coxwell-Rogers
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Me too!!

Must be a design flaw. Surely this has been reported back to the manufacturers. It must have irked just about every framer at one time or another.

I have always meant to have them ground them down a bit so that they do not gouge into the soft mouldings so much, but have never got round to it.
Framing Norah

Post by Framing Norah »

You have posted this in the wrong forum Edward. This one belongs to Blunders, Gaffes, and Faux Pas.

Would you believe that these guys have gone and developed a fancy new rebate support gizmo which they expect us to buy, and they can't get this basic thingy right? I don't think so.

Perhaps they are not getting any feedback so they don't know that their product needs to be improved in a couple of areas.
FN
evanstheframe

Post by evanstheframe »

I have been having the same problem. I can see from the marks on the moulding that it is down to these small posts on the supports. Not knowing what they were for but must be there for a reason, I thought it was the settings or something I was doing wrong. The main problem is with soft wood mouldings like Obeche. At times they stick so bad I cant adjust the cut setting as the supports have dug into the moulding so bad.
If there is no reason for them being there and would not effect the rebate supports in any way I will grind them off. Before I go ahead and do that, does anyone know why they are there?
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Interesting!! and I do not have an answer either.

My Morso is only 7 years old and I do NOT have these small posts on my rebate supports.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

I don’t have this protrusion on my Morso - I would just file them down a bit so they don’t snag - they really haven’t thought out the design of this and it seems bizarre that they manage to make an inferior support when redesigning. I managed to improve the cut quality on my machine by filing the top edge of the support flat. A design that supported closer to the blade would stop much of the tearing you get on some mouldings - especially those with a gesso type finish.
Coxby

Post by Coxby »

I emailed Morso and they said...
Thank you for your e-mail. You can remove the button with a pair of tongs by pulling it out. We are of ocurse always at your service as to further information. Best regards Tove Pedersen
Is 'Ocurse' a Danish Framers Cult of sorts!? :shock:

...I am tonged up and will let you know how I get on!!
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
evanstheframe

Post by evanstheframe »

I spoke to Framers equipment about this matter.

Reply.

The purpose of this post is to act as a stop against the rebate of the moulding, which in turn prevents the front edge of the rebate support from touching or jamming against the inside of the rebate.
Light oil on the guides is essential and the removal of any burrs that my be causing the supports to jam as you bring the blades forward.
However after speaking to the manufactures there is no harm in removing the post.

After reading Coxby's answer from Morso I tried to remove the posts. No chance. You need to go to the gym for a few weeks first before having a go. Think they are a shrink fit and will only come out if heated. I may end up grinding them down.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

They will punch out without too much difficulty.

But first you must remove the sliding foot using the appropriate allen key.
Coxby

Post by Coxby »

I used a hacksaw in the end and finished off any burrs with a mini rotating sander, job done!
Edward Coxwell-Rogers
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Framing Norah wrote:You have posted this in the wrong forum Edward. This one belongs to Blunders, Gaffes, and Faux Pas.
nice one :D
Coxby

Post by Coxby »

Now that I have removed the little posts from the supports, their movement is even more restricted! However, I have found the perfect answer.

Find this item in eBay! # 9731950694 Teflon Mouse Tape same as Glidz Pad Surfers and Skatez and stick it along the site edges of your rebate supports. Burnish the tape down nice and cleanly and trim off the excess. You will find that the supports will now glide along the back of any wood - BRILLIANT! :D
Edward Coxwell-Rogers