Printing onto Mounts

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith

Printing onto Mounts

Post by Keith »

Hi.

Have just been approached by a school that require about 10 10x8 mounts for their sports team photos.
But each mount is to have all the names of the team players underneath the photo and the team name and year above.

The sample they supplied has been hand written in italics, and the old gent that did them can no longer write, anyone know where this could be done either by printing or by hand.

Thanks Keith
markw

Re: Printing onto Mounts

Post by markw »

Some Epson printers can handle mountboard - You could print the details on then cut the aperture.
sarah

Post by sarah »

Would add to the over all cost, but cutting additional windows would allow you to print the names etc onto regular paper and then position them within the window.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

As above but if you can find some nice quality paper that is a close match to your mount board it will look better.

John.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i do this all the time, i print a block on a nice photo paper then cut an extra window in the mount to suit
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to see what they will accept, as they are trying to match the ones
that have been done in the past.

Keith
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I could do it, I started out in calligraphy - but I wouldn't want to do it! At my workshop rate no-one would want to know either!

If you can't find a printing source and/or title apertures are not acceptable, have a search for local calligraphy groups - my local one for example, is called the Sussex Scribes and very good they are too!
prospero

Post by prospero »

Why not just have the photos printed with the names underneath? Plenty of nice script fonts available.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

be careful trying to print on the mount itself with an epson printer

first of all the max thickness going through the printer should not exceed 1.4 mm, most mountsboards ar thicker than this

second the surface of the mountboard would not be prepare for ink, and chances are you will get dodgy results
markw

Post by markw »

There are boards that come within Epsons media thickness handling of 1.5mm ( this might be the newer machines) You would have to be selective about the type of board you use but a board that would take a washline would almost certainly accept application of ink from a printer. Ink run would be a problem on some boards even if you were using a pen.
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

This topic cropped up a while back. Example of my attempt to print on mountboard included. Also mention of mountboard designed for inkjet printing.

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ard#p20493
Pat
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

prospero

Post by prospero »

Sorry to stick a spanner in the works, but Letraset tends to stick to the glass and flake off. :(
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Big Ada
Organisation: Stourbridge
Interests: Photography, Picture Framing, Football, Golf and Fishing

Post by Big Ada »

Hi Keith,

I do this type of work all the time, I own a digital photographic processors as well as a picture framers. I do a load of work for school photographers. The way I go about creating the mounts is I create a document in photoshop with all the boxes shown where the apertures are to be cut then I type all the names beneath. It is printed on my epson 7880 which will accepy up to 2.5mm mountboard. Then set up your mount cutter measuring to the apertures that are already printed.

I hope this helps
Adrian.
markw

Post by markw »

Thanks big Ada for clarifying that - I have always cut in titles - but will be going down this route in the near future.
If you have a CMC - you should be able to get your text and mount positions very close as you can design them ensuring your text and aperture coordinates are the same.
Little unsure of the quality of the new Mat stylus head on the valiani and how small - or ornate the text on that could go. I doubt it would be as accurate as a printer.

Is your kit different to the earlier poster who claimed that 1.4mm was the max thickness an Epson was able to print?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi All and thanks for all your input.
I finally went onto the CLAS - Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society website and contacted a local lady, and purely by chance she is the person the previous framer had used, I couldn’t believe it.
So the school are happy that all the previous year’s photos can still be matched.

Keith
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

TaDaaaaa. Great result!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Mark W asked about the quality of the Mat Stylus.
Here are three lines . Using Arial Font .. Top line is 4mm tall. then 8mm tall then 12mm tall.

Using Pilot V7 High Tec Pure Liquid Ink
StylusTest.jpg
StylusTest.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
The board is actually white.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Thanks JC - now how does 14 pt script face look? (with the middle bits of the letters included) :roll: