microfibre cloths
-
markw
microfibre cloths
Microfibre cloths - if you dont already use them - your missing out on the most effective way of cleaning glass. I started using them some years ago - and I have my favourites, all of them fairly expensive. Found a business on the web the other day who sell large microfibre cloths - good price - really fantastic cloths - delivered next day - cheaper and larger than my normal cloths. http://www.icewww.com/index.aspx?s=Product&p=109.
-
Roboframer
Re: microfibre cloths
They look great!
I use PEL cloths (Direct from PEL) which are slightly smaller but more expensive (£1.79 each if you buy 50) But PEL cloths can be washed 3000 times.
I do buy them in 50s and I give one away with every museum glass job over 2 sq ft - I'll give these a try and if I don't like them as much I can give them away instead of the PEL cloths
I use PEL cloths (Direct from PEL) which are slightly smaller but more expensive (£1.79 each if you buy 50) But PEL cloths can be washed 3000 times.
I do buy them in 50s and I give one away with every museum glass job over 2 sq ft - I'll give these a try and if I don't like them as much I can give them away instead of the PEL cloths
-
JFeig
- Posts: 1480
- Joined: Thu 23 Sep, 2004 8:31 pm
- Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
- Organisation: minoxy, LLC
- Interests: non-fiction knowledge
Re: microfibre cloths
you can also check with an auto parts shop.......
I got these for about $21 when they were on special price http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1
When I wash them at home they are done as towels in the machines setting - detergent only....... and allowed to air dry on a cloths line. Caution, NO fabric softener
I got these for about $21 when they were on special price http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... opnav=&s=1
When I wash them at home they are done as towels in the machines setting - detergent only....... and allowed to air dry on a cloths line. Caution, NO fabric softener
Jerome Feig CPF®
-
Nigel Nobody
Re: microfibre cloths
I find microfibre cloths too hard to swoosh across the glass. They seemed to grip on the glass and it took toomuch effort and way too long to clean it. Paper towels with some metho and water mixture works for me. A whole roll of paper towel cost $3 and lasts a month. A fraction of the cost of Microfibre cloths!
I must also be a bit careless, because I go over the edge of the glass and it gets tattered, so I think I would only get one or two washes before it fell to bits. 3000 washes - not in my shop!
I must also be a bit careless, because I go over the edge of the glass and it gets tattered, so I think I would only get one or two washes before it fell to bits. 3000 washes - not in my shop!
-
Roboframer
Re: microfibre cloths
I only use 'posh' microfibre cloths on coated glass - paper towels could scratch that.
For un-coated glass I just use lint-free cloths from lion (used to be called 'rag-in-a-bag' but now they come in a box!) - which can also scratch coated glass, especially if they are fresh out of the box - but I dry with a very (VERY) cheap microfibre cloth that Mike, my framer, bought a shedload of from Spain.
Does anyone else get goosebumps from the 'funny' feel of (good) microfibre cloths? A sort of 'nails dragged across a chalk board' type of goosebump?
Probably just me.
For un-coated glass I just use lint-free cloths from lion (used to be called 'rag-in-a-bag' but now they come in a box!) - which can also scratch coated glass, especially if they are fresh out of the box - but I dry with a very (VERY) cheap microfibre cloth that Mike, my framer, bought a shedload of from Spain.
Does anyone else get goosebumps from the 'funny' feel of (good) microfibre cloths? A sort of 'nails dragged across a chalk board' type of goosebump?
Probably just me.
-
stcstc
Re: microfibre cloths
i use tac cloths first which you dont need to rub really, theese are really cheap from a car body shop supplies type shop
then i use paper towels with ipa to clean plain glass
then i use paper towels with ipa to clean plain glass
-
markw
Re: microfibre cloths
Few comments about microfibre cloths.
If the cloths stick to your hands and don't flow well on the glass then you are using the wrong sort of cloth. This stuff comes in a variety of forms from towelling loop to the very fine stuff that you get for cleaning spectacles. I suspect I've tried them all and until recently my preference was the peach finish that halfords sell and 4 clothes would last me 3-4 months, The reason that I posted the link here is that the cloths from this company are just right for cleaning glass - better than any of the others that I've used.
I would agree with Nigel Nobody that your not going to get 3000 washes out of a cloth when your cleaning cut edges - but get the right strength of cloth and you will get a few months use out of them. The advantage of using them is that your using less chemicals - less paper - and because of the nature of the material, less effort. You can get perfectly good results just using water. not tried IPA
I cant say that I have tried the cloths from Pel - I know a number of framers use them and say they are very good.
If the cloths stick to your hands and don't flow well on the glass then you are using the wrong sort of cloth. This stuff comes in a variety of forms from towelling loop to the very fine stuff that you get for cleaning spectacles. I suspect I've tried them all and until recently my preference was the peach finish that halfords sell and 4 clothes would last me 3-4 months, The reason that I posted the link here is that the cloths from this company are just right for cleaning glass - better than any of the others that I've used.
I would agree with Nigel Nobody that your not going to get 3000 washes out of a cloth when your cleaning cut edges - but get the right strength of cloth and you will get a few months use out of them. The advantage of using them is that your using less chemicals - less paper - and because of the nature of the material, less effort. You can get perfectly good results just using water. not tried IPA
I cant say that I have tried the cloths from Pel - I know a number of framers use them and say they are very good.
-
barefaced framer
- Posts: 89
- Joined: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 8:34 pm
- Location: a BEECH somewhere
- Organisation: is my middle name
- Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....
Re: microfibre cloths
They are good for all types of cleaning in and around the home and workplace and you don't have to use any chemical cleaners just water.
Good for getting a shine on any metal too.
I have used them for a few years now and just luv 'em.
Good for getting a shine on any metal too.
I have used them for a few years now and just luv 'em.
-
framejunkie
- Posts: 347
- Joined: Tue 13 May, 2008 11:40 am
- Location: Bethnal Green, London
- Organisation: framejunkie
- Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR
- Location: Bethnal Green, London
- Contact:
Re: microfibre cloths
I think that there are better deals out there
I bought a box of 24 from here
http://www.gsmailorder.co.uk/products.a ... t=&search=
They sell a few types - the cheap ones look a bit rubbish - i think they are the ones people sell for a pound each on ebay
The ones i bought are the Kimberly Clark green ones - made for glass cleaning, and just over a quid each. Slightly smaller than those in the origial post though, at around 40x40cm.
One word of advice though - if you are ordering from this company avoid the 'Quality Soft Toilet Roll' - i got a big order in because i thought it was a good price and now I'll be using it for about 6 months - scratchy and it tends to fall apart
I bought a box of 24 from here
http://www.gsmailorder.co.uk/products.a ... t=&search=
They sell a few types - the cheap ones look a bit rubbish - i think they are the ones people sell for a pound each on ebay
The ones i bought are the Kimberly Clark green ones - made for glass cleaning, and just over a quid each. Slightly smaller than those in the origial post though, at around 40x40cm.
One word of advice though - if you are ordering from this company avoid the 'Quality Soft Toilet Roll' - i got a big order in because i thought it was a good price and now I'll be using it for about 6 months - scratchy and it tends to fall apart
-
Nigel Nobody
Re: microfibre cloths
John,Roboframer wrote:I only use 'posh' microfibre cloths on coated glass - paper towels could scratch that.
As the old saying goes, there are paper towels and there are paper towels! The ones I use are as soft as a baby's face and will not scratch any coatings, unless you have chips of glass embedded in them!
Obviously there are many types of microfibre cloths too, by what I'm reading here! I've bought a few different types from different sources and haven't found any yet that I could comfortably use. Probably haven't lucked onto the right one yet! Then again, I'm not looking for them now!
-
stephen34
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Tue 20 May, 2008 1:23 pm
- Location: Sunny Somerset
- Organisation: Soggy Somerset
- Interests: Photography
Re: microfibre cloths
Micro fibre cloths at Poundland. 4 for a pound. Pretty colours.
